Stuck inside

Song: Force of Nature by Bea Miller

I don't wake up until late. When I make my way downstairs my parents have already had breakfast, so I grab a Strawberry Pop tart, no frosting. I put it in the toaster to make it a little cruncher. I start to walk back upstairs and my mom stops me.

"Ophelia...how was the date yesterday? What all did you guys do?"

"It...it was fine...we just went out to eat, then a movie and...and..." Does she really need to know about the party. I mean there is no reason to tell her is there?

"And...what?"

"Nothing..."

"Nothing, you sure about that? You came home and went right to bed; what's wrong?"

OK...so I have a hard time lying to my parents. "We went to a party...I...I..."

"A party? What kind of party?" she sounds all worried now.

"It was just a party...kids from school, nothing happened...it doesn't matter." Because it doesn't pertain to her so why should it even matter to her?

"Doesn't matter, so what really happened?"

It's like she already knows that something bad happened at the party; I throw my hands up in the air. "I fell in the pool...I'm fine...it's no big deal."

"But you don't know how to swim?" She sounds more worried now.

"I know, Kodiak jumped in and got me out. I'm fine really."

She looks at me with great concern and then happens to see my arm. There is still a rash. "What is this...a rash?" She starts to panic.

"I'm fine...really mom...I'm fine."

"The heck you are. You have a rash. How bad is it?" Of course she has to look. I have it all over my back and my chest, not to mention all down my arms and legs...hell my whole body has freaking bumps all over it and now that we are focused more on it I start to itch all over. She walks into the kitchen and gets out the Benadryl. "Here take this...if it doesn't go away by tomorrow I will make you a doctor's appointment."

"Mom it's...it's just a rash. I'm fine."

"Well you may think your fine but you're not. I want you to stay in all day see if it starts to clear up."

"But Kodiak and I are going out."

"No you're not you're staying home all day." She throws her hands on her hips and I know that this means that she's not playing around.

"Whatever." I go back up to my room and text Kodiak.

Ophelia: Stuck in for the day. Sorry can't go out.

Kodiak: Why? Is this about the party still?

Ophelia: Mom says I have to stay in. I have this rash. She is worried.

Kodiak: Rash???

Ophelia: Yeah, think from the pool...IDK sorry I can't go out.

Kodiak: So I will come over to see you in a few.

Ophelia: IDK if that's a good idea.

But he doesn't reply back and before I know it there is a knock on my door. "Ophelia...Kodiak is here."

I get up and open my door to my dad standing in front on Kodiak. "Keep the door open...got it."

"Yes sir."

He turns to go back downstairs and Kodiak stares back at me. "So this is your room." He looks around at all the pictures on the wall as he walks in. I have never had a boy in my room. I start to panic looking around the room to make sure all my private stuff is out of sight. He sits on the edge of my bed. "So...a rash...uh...let me see."

I shake my head no.

"Come on...if you want me to believe this is about a rash you have to have proof or else this is just you not wanting to hang out with me."

"Fine...then." I roll up my sleeve and sure enough there is a rash. I roll up both sleeves to show him.

He wrinkles up his nose. "Ewe, does it itch?"

"A little...probably from the chemicals in the pool. I'll be fine."

"Sorry about that."

"What it's not your fault I got pushed into the pool."

"It's my fault that we were even there. I should be honest with you. I...I had planned going to the party to play with the guys. I should have told you ahead of time."

"Du....don't worry about it. So what do you want to do since I can't go out?"

"It's your day remember; what do you want to do?"

I shrug my shoulders, if it was my day we would not be stuck inside. "We could watch movie...if you want."

"Sure sounds great."

I find a movie and put it in. We both sit on the bed. Half way through I lay down and he lies beside me. No we don't touch. He doesn't even try. When my dad walks by he jumps up and gets back into to sitting and moves farther away from me. I start to giggle. Eventually he lies back down beside me. We finish the movie and he looks over at me with a smile.

"Thanks for hanging out with me today." He says with a slight smile.

"Did I have a choice...you came to my house." I nudge him and he rolls off the bed, like for real. I didn't push him that hard.

He lands with a soft thud and looks back up at me. "Dang...you don't have to kick me out," he starts to pout.

"Like I pushed you that hard...get up." I stand up and hold my hand out for him to pull himself up. However when he pulls on my arm instead of pulling he tugs and I fall into him. Now I am on the floor beside him. At first I was a little upset but when I look into his eyes he is laughing and now I am laughing and this is crazy, then everything falls silent...an awkward silence around us. He is so close to me and for some reason I truly believe that my lungs gave out and I am no longer breathing. I look down and then back up to him. There is the weird connection between us. My heart feels like it is skipping beats and my body tingles all over but I can't do it. I want him to kiss me, I really do but something stops me. Because as he leans in I stand up in a hurry.

I know he is disappointed, damn what is wrong with me. Why can't I just let this happen?

"I guess I should be going." He says in almost a whisper.

"Yeah...I guess so."

I walk him downstairs to the front door and he stops to look at me. He leans in to hug me bye and I don't tense up having his arms around me. When he pulls back away I thought maybe he would try it again but he doesn't instead he walks out and waves bye.

I shut the door and run back up to my room to look out the window to watch him start his bike and leave. I watch until he is completely out of sight with my fingers touching the edge of my lips. A part of me really wants this. I just don't know if my body, my outer self can handle it.