What To Do

They sat at the couch in the living room. Someone had pushed all of my labeling supplies from earlier into the corner.

Tissue boxes and mini trash cans were all around. The damage was definitely done, and my guilt finally started kicking in. Exhausted from everything, I really just wanted to go to my room and sleep, but that never solves anything when others are involved. I had to come clean, and I had to apologize.

"Look, I'm sorry about earlier." Stopping there to let them talk.

"You know what? It's not your fault and we should truly be apologizing to you. This is your life and even though we just want what is best for you, those decisions are up to you."

Silence and shock filled the room. That took an unexpected turn. What was I to say?

"You are a bright, independent, smart girl, Angie, and you have so much going for you. We still recommend starting treatment as soon as possible, and there is no way I am going to let you get away without that, but if you want to go to school, it shouldn't be up to me to stop you."

It was up to me. I could go. Of course, treatment would still be a factor in all of this, but at least I could see my friends and Jake. That in itself overjoyed me with happiness. I hugged my family, thanking them immensely for understanding and was right on my way towards the staircase and to my room as I stopped and turned back to the living room.

"I'm sorry too. I overreacted earlier and it got out of hand. I know you all just want what is best for me."

They smiled and accepted my apology. With that, I made my way upstairs and to my room. That comfort of knowing you're on the best potential terms with your parents is truly the best feeling in the world. Climbing into my bed was easy. Changing into the coziest pajamas felt like heaven and sleeping came too easy. Before I knew it, I was out. Lost in a dreamless sleep, I rested easy and let my mind wander free for the night.

For the first time in my life, the balances of right and wrong and the choices of what to do was actually under control.