Ch. 16

I knew I shouldn't return to my apartment but I needed my money in the vent. I had nothing without it, especially now that I couldn't risk doing another heist with the threat of blackmail. Not to mention I couldn't stay at the church any longer.

So I found the passage way from the church that lead to my apartment. I crawled through the ducts until I reached the vent where I hid my box of money and my gun. I peeked through the slits in the grate to see if anyone was there in my room. I couldn't believe what I saw. It was him! It was Michael sitting there at the end of my bed.

I think he is alone but I don't exactly have the best line of sight at the moment. He sat there with his hand supported his head. Should I go to him? He looks unarmed which I think to myself is unusual for him. I go ahead and begin picking the lock on this side of the grate.

Michael stands up and I stop what I'm doing. Did he hear me? My heart stops. Michael goes over the door and moves into the living room. Thank god he didn't hear me.

I get it undone but I hesitate to open it. I'm scared. I take the gun from my lock box and load it. I also grab the taser. There are just too many questions I have to ask him. And what if it is him whose doing this to me? My heart is pounding by now and I've gotten myself all worked up. Still I can't help but want to see him again. This was going to happen sooner or later so I might as well take the opportunity now. Here we go. I push out the grate silently and pull myself into what used to be my room.

I pull my gun and I wait until I can't wait anymore. I slowly crack open the door. Suddenly the door whips open and Michael is standing there with his gun drawn and aimed at my head!

"Drop it. Now!" he said so seriously that I froze and I must have been shaking. I dropped my gun and it crashed to the floor. I was petrified. The Panther was in control and I was at his mercy once again only this time was different. This is not what I wanted to happen at all.

"M..m..m.michael" was all I managed to stutter.

"Alex. What the hell are you doing?"he said in a monotone voice with his glock still aimed at my head.

"Me?" I found some ounce of courage to speak. "Why are you doing this to me?"

He began to lower his weapon slightly. "I got your note Alex. How dare you think you can just demand for me to surrender myself to you. You think you can just come along and turn me or kill me after everything I did for you?"

"What are you talking about? I never sent you any note. You're the one who's blackmailing me!" I answered.

"What?" he said looking confused. He looked into my teary eyes as if he could tell if I was lying. "Alex? What is going on?" He said frustrated.

I held myself together so far but my voice was shaky and I didn't know what was happening. "Then why are you here pointing that gun in my face?" I cried. I can't stare down the sight of a gun pointed at me. It was happening all over again. I felt tears down my cheeks.

Then he lowered his weapon to his side taking his finger off the trigger.

He stepped closer and wrapped his arms around me. I couldn't move I was so scared. "I'm sorry I thought you were here to kill me." He said in a hushed calming voice. I felt his warm embrace and I just held onto him like my life depended on it. "I need your help, I need to find him. I need to give him what he deserves" I cried into Michael's chest. I wasn't sure if I was talking about the man who killed Nathan or the one blackmailing me or both. I just needed someone to trust right now.

"I'll help you Alex, anything you need I'm here okay. I'm here, I'm not going anywhere."

"Thank you" I said sniffing and drying my face.

We went over to the coach and I lay down next to him. He took my ear on his chest and I fell asleep there, our bodies embracing one another.