Ch. 6

I am back at my safe house now. After this morning I have a total of $2,000. I go over to my air duct vent and add the $300 cash to a small carrying bag hidden behind the grate.

It is 3 o'clock and I have just sat down on my bed for an afternoon nap when I hear my cell phone ring. I get up and unzip my black bag to see who it is. The caller ID reads "Panther".

I don't answer it. When he calls you're not supposed to answer. Instead it means he wants to meet somewhere. I don't know where or when but I will soon. You aren't supposed to find the Panther, the Panther finds you.

It's been a long time since I thought about that name. And just reading it off the caller ID made got me all excited.

I remember it was last year and I was a freshman in college. I was out scouting a home outside the city. Just like today I was out jogging in order to get a feel for the occupants of the house and what times they'd be home and the home's security etc. I was jogging by the target house for the sixth time, planning on breaking in the next day when I noticed a black sedan. It had tinted windows and that kind of shiny black color that you see in spy films.

The driver was very good at tailing me. Still, I could tell I was being followed for about a block, but he stayed at a good distance. Each time I tried to lose him I failed. I tried to slip my tail by gaining some distance and rounding a corner. I ran across someone's back yard and hopped a 6 foot fence but I didn't escape him. On the other side of the fence waiting for me stood a man in a black silky mask leaning back on his car with his arms crossed. He stood something like 6'2" and had impeccable posture. He was well built and wore a tailored black suit.

He moved closer and his hands lay down at his sides. He motioned for me to stay where I was, and not to run. I could see a gun tucked at his waist but he did not seem to go for it. He was calm and seemed almost gentle. As strange as it may sound I thought I might have been a little attracted to him, attracted to this man of mystery.

I fell into a bit of a daze as he stretched out his hand. He wore black leather gloves to conceal his hands. I looked up at him but he did not move and did not speak. He was waiting for me to make a decision. I thought to myself, "I must be crazy. I can't go with him, just look at him he is clearly dangerous. I could try and run but he would never let me get away and I could not out run a car, not to mention he had a gun. But even as I was thinking this I reached out for his hand.

I laid my hand in his and his touch was soft but firm. He looked at me and saw deeply into my brown eyes. I was probably shaking a little but I didn't want to get away. He could have hurt me if he wanted to at any time. He certainly could have pulled his gun and demanded I come with him but he didn't.

He opened the passenger side door and motioned for me to get in. I slipped down into the seat and he closed the door quietly behind me. Then he walked around the car and got in the driver's seat. There was no one else in the car. I looked around me and saw nothing, the car was completely clean and empty, and had that new car smell, probably a rental.

I looked straight ahead again beginning to regret my decision. He put the car in drive and we began moving. I became more and more nervous thinking how stupid I was. I would never do something like this. What the hell was wrong with me. How foolish this was. I had no idea where he was taking me or who he was. He could kill me and dump my body somewhere and no one would ever miss me.

I think he saw how nervous I was becoming because he looked over at me. Then he looked forward and began to say something. His voice was warm yet strong. And it made my me calm yet excited. I could feel my body relaxing as he spoke.

He asked me simply, "Are you scared?". "Yes, a little. Where are you taking me?" I asked with a lump in my throat. He sighed and said, "We are going to a safe place, you don't have to be afraid."

I was not sure whether or not to believe him but I didn't ask anything more. We were both silent for the next few miles or so until he pulled over on a side street. He parked the car and asked me, "Will you close your eyes please?" I looked at him and nodded slightly and then closed my eyes. I could feel myself shaking again. I heard him shift in his seat and then I felt him slip a blindfold over my eyes. Then he spoke, "It's only temporary until we get to where I need to be. Don't worry."

And with that he put the car in drive and continued down the way. Now I was trapped, clueless, and blind inside a car with a masked man I don't know and completely helpless. All I could do now was wait...

Please don't forget to vote and comment thank you :)