Chapter 1

"Eve! You do realize 5 minutes was over 15 minutes ago, right?" I hear my mother yell from downstairs. I throw the clothes in my hands in anger on the floor before continuing to dig through my closet.

I hear footsteps coming up the stairs before my mother's voice speaks through the door.

"You're going to be late on your first day... again." The disappointment in her voice is clear and I feel terrible because I know that I am also making her late for her job, which stresses her out.

Luckily, I finally find the shirt I have been looking for as she says the words and breathe a sigh of relief. I slip it on and open the door.

"I'll just be one more minute, Mom. You can start the car if you want." I say and rush past her to the bathroom to brush my teeth and spray perfume. Chanel; my favorite. It was my birthday gift last year. Even though it was the only present I got that year, it was probably the best birthday ever. That's when my dad was still here. It seems so long ago.

Running downstairs, I throw my combat boots on without socks and grab my favorite leather jacket. Just so I don't get a lecture about not eating, I grab a couple granola bars and put them in my backpack. I open another one up and begin eating before running out the door to join my mother in the car.

She backs the car out of the driveway the second I get in. Suddenly, I begin to panic. Nervously, I glance at her.

"Uh, Mom? I hate to tell you this, but I think I forgot my-"

"Backpack?" She finishes for me. I sigh and take it from her.

Through her sunglasses I see her roll her eyes, although it is friendly and she is also smiling. I laugh.

"It's tradition!" I remind her, which makes her laugh, too.

"Tradition," she scoffs and rolls her eyes again.

--------------------------------------------

I'm about halfway through third hour (chemistry) when I hear my phone ping in my pocket. Blushing, I watch the teacher turn towards me.

"Miss Norberry, I am aware that it is the first day, and I have yet to go over the cell phone rules in my class. I will let this one slide. However, I believe this is a perfect opportunity to inform everyone that cell phones are to be kept in your backpack on silent at all times. Understood?" The entire class nods their heads, including me.

"I'm terribly sorry, Mr. Willow. It's my mother. I'll make sure it never happens again," I assure him. Of course it would be my phone to go off on the first day of school.

Embarrassed, I quickly check my mother's text.

Mom: Just reminding u that I will b home L8 2night becuz I got 2 work so L8 this morning. Leftovers in the fridge.. luv u!

I would roll my eyes at my mother's attempt at being cool if I weren't so humiliated. I hurriedly turn my phone to silent and throw it into my backpack before returning my attention back to Mr. Willow.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see someone smirking at me. I slowly turn my head before making eye contact with one of the most gorgeous boys I have ever laid eyes on. Long, dark brown hair is styled on top of his head. His jawbone is sharp enough to cut through my soul, and his dimples are prominent through his smirk.

But his eyes.

His eyes are the best part. They are dark green, almost brown. Some people call it hazel, but that word wouldn't give them justice. Somehow, they shine like emeralds but also hold a bit of darkness and mysterious that captivates me for who knows how long before I hear a cough at the front of the room and blush.

Snapping my head forward, I see Mr. Willow glaring at me for the second time today.

"Is there a problem, Miss Norberry?"

He raises an eyebrow.

I cough awkwardly before mumbling, "No, sir."

"That's what I thought. Eyes up here, Miss Norberry."

"Yes, sir."

When he turns around again, a paper flies onto my desk. I look over at the boy, being smart enough to avoid eye contact this time. He's smirking again and motions towards the paper. Hesitantly, I open it.

miss your mama already?

I roll my eyes and scrunch the paper. I do not need another person criticizing my relationship with my mother. I hear a huff from beside me and turn to see the boy, scrunching his eyebrows and biting his lip in confusion. Trying my hardest to ignore how attractive that is, I quickly reopen the paper and respond to him.

you don't know me at all

Glancing up at the teacher to find his back still turned, I quickly throw the paper back on the boy's desk and try to focus on what Mr. Willow is saying. I hope he's not giving homework on the first day.

Just a couple seconds later, I see the paper fly back on my desk. Without thinking, I open it immediately.

let's change that

Now it's my turn to be confused. What the hell? Before I can ask him about it, another paper flies onto my desk. It reads:

Locker 218. After school. I'll be waiting.

I cannot process this note in my brain, however, because at that moment, the bell rings. And the boy is the first one out the door.