Chapter 3

"So he just left without saying a word? That's the cruelest thing I can imagine."

"Well, actually, no. He did leave a note on our counter that said 'fuck you both. you ruined my life.' So, I guess he did say a couple words," I laugh humorlessly as I remember what my father did to my mother and I just a few short months ago.

"Well, God, I take it back. That is by far the cruelest thing I can think of," he smiles down at me and I can literally feel the sympathy in his eyes.

When I look up at him, I know I guessed correctly. His gorgeous, murky eyes hold sympathy in them, and while I would usually roll my eyes and get annoyed, I find his sympathy something I desire. I feel like maybe he could help me. And my mom, of course. She's the person I care about the most.

I have no idea how long I stare into his eyes before he speaks again.

"Adam," he whispers. I am just now realizing that our faces have gotten close enough to whisper without either of us noticing.

I scrunch my eyebrows at him. "What?"

"My name. It's Adam. That's why I laughed earlier. Adam and Eve? Like in the bible?" His eyes now shine with amusement. I find myself getting lost in them, for what feels like the millionth time today. I don't register what he is saying until he finally blinks and I am brought back to this earth.

"You're kidding me, right? Adam? This has got to be some kind of joke!" The volume of my voice increases greatly and I back away from him.

"Not a joke, Eve. It's fate!" He chuckles a little and reaches for my hand.

"Stay away from me!" I yell, and run away from him as fast as possible.

When I reach the corner, I realize I spent so long talking to Adam that I missed the bus. I think about calling my mom, but I remember that she has to work late tonight and I don't want to get in her way--again.

I sigh before beginning to walk towards my house. Today is just not my day.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As soon as I open the door to my home, I throw my backpack on the floor and head to the pantry. It's going to take a hell of a lot of Cheetos to get my mind off of everything happening right now.

Adam? Really? God must really hate me if he made the hottest boy to ever take any interest in me whatsoever have that name. I was just starting to like him, too! I trusted him with my family's secrets!

How could I have been so naïve? I should have been more suspicious when he refused to tell me his name when I asked. It's almost like he knew I was going to run away. Like he knew that I cannot stand clichés, and therefore cannot be with him.

This is crazy. What are the odds that I, Eve Norberry, would fall for a guy named Adam?

Not that I'm in love with him. I only just met him!

And I won't fall in love with him. That's not happening. Not after my parents. Romeo and Juliet? Really? You'd think they would know that considering they both die at the end of the fictional love story, the real life one probably wouldn't turn out so great, either.

I groan as I plop down on the couch and turn on the TV. Why bother giving this any more thought? I'm not putting myself through that. Or my mother. Especially my mother. I can't even imagine what she would think if history began to repeat itself? One badly ending love story to the next. I don't want her to worry. And, frankly, I don't want to worry either.