Chapter 30: Ronnie

I walk stealthily through the plastic forest in the Lodge.  Compared to the real forest where we practice at Jama’s, this is nothing.  Jama’s hologram dummies are larger, stronger, and quicker than the ones at the lodge. I scurry up a tree and just sit there bored out of my mind.  I look across the forest realizing how small it is compared to the real forest at Jama’s.  I look at the huge clock on the wall showing the time is four-thirty. 

                “Great, almost time for dinner.”  I groan twirling a knife in my hand.  Suddenly I feel something cold touch my shoulder.  I flinch and snap my head around seeing Danni.

                I take a sigh of relief.  “God, you scared me!”                                     

                She perks an eyebrow looking at me.  She wears a black tank top with her hair pulled back into two French braids.  She also wears a pair of black sweat pants and black combat boots.  She grew a little in a month, but is still is a short, tiny thing.  I guess that’s beneficial in her spot.  Since she is training for a nurse, her hands are nimble and can help in a significant amount of ways. 

                She dangles her legs over the side of the tree sighing. “Sorry, I thought Jama taught you how not to be scared of that kind of stuff.  Haven’t you learned to be fearless?” 

                I stare at her shockingly.  “What do you mean?”

                “Nothing,” she says, almost angrily. 

                “Now what?  You’ve been acting weird ever since Kimberley and I went to train with Jama.  What’s wrong with you?  Are you jealous?” 

                “Jealous, of you!?”  She snaps.  “Please, I’m just . . . just . . .” she stutters looking for the right words.

                “Just what?”  I ask holding in my temper.  She turns to me her eyes starting to water. 

                “I don’t know.  Lonely.”  She answers.  Her eyes now start to have tears and her face becomes red with embarrassment.  She sighs wiping tears from her eyes.  “It’s just, you guys were like my sisters.  Like family.  And now I barely see you anymore.  I mean we still see each other at school and the ride home but even in school, we only have two classes together.  That’s it.  No weekends or training.”

                Suddenly my anger drained.  It was replaced with guilt.  She’s right.  Between my training, school, and going back and forth from Jama and the Lodge Danni and I never really get to hang out any longer.  And it must be hard for her, being an only child. 

                “I-I’m sorry.  I didn’t know.”  I say scooting over to the trunk of the tree so I was close to her. 

                “I’m sorry too.  It’s just I’ve never had a brother or sister before and It was really fun having you guys here with me.”