Chapter 27: Ronnie

I run.  I just keep running.  I forget everything for a few minutes.  I forget where I am, who I am, and I even forget why I’m running.  I just feel the need to run.   I soon slow down, though, since I’m carrying an extra ten pounds with me.

                I breathe heavily trying to get my baring’s.  Everywhere I turn there is forest.  No telling how thick or deep this forest is.  I sigh walking around like a piece of prey waiting to be captured. 

I keep walking deeper in the forest.  Silence, is how I would like to describe it.  Only a few rustles here and there from scared animals, hiding from their predators or flaps and chirps of the birds in the trees.  Anything but that, there is nothing.

                I decide to sit down on a fallen log and rest.  I take out a knife and examine it.  Blade, about eleven inches long, handle about six.  I turn it from one hand to the other.  Light weight, wonder how good it could hold up against a fight. 

                Suddenly I hear something rustle the bushes.  I pounce up in a battle stance and face it.  I wait for it to show up when I feel weight pin me to the ground.   A know it’s a hologram dummy because when it puts its hand down in front of me its sparkling gold.  I don’t struggle to get up, instead when I feel its head come right over mine I snap my head back hitting it in the face.  The shock scares him.  I use this time to take my right arm and punch it on the side.  It loses its balance and falls to the left which gives me time to scramble out from under it and stand up putting my knife away and grabbing a pistol and shooting the dummy.

                It soon disappears signaling its dead.  I sigh and put my gun back in its pocket.  I grab my machine gun and just keep walking in the woods. 

                It’s about fifteen more minutes before I hear another rustle, but this time I hear it running towards me.  I now start running realizing what’s happening.  I keep running but it keeps getting closer until I am tackled to the ground.  I roll with the hologram a couple feet before we stop in I’m facing upward at it.   Its yellow generated face is looking down at me hissing.  It holds my hands down so I can’t move. 

                I kick my legs and this time struggle to get free but the dummy has me.  I don’t want to scream, that will just attract more of them.  Suddenly the dummy is hit with something I can’t see.  It just goes limp and falls on top of me then disappears.  I prop myself up on my elbows to see an arrow lying in the snow where the dummy disappeared.  “Kimberley,” I whisper to myself. 

                “Wow,” I jerk my head to the left to see Kimberley walking towards me with a bow in her hands.  “Thought Logan trained you better than that.”  She helps me up and gives me a look.  She has a scratch above her eye and its bleeding.  Bruises litter her arms and legs.  One was on her cheek.  Her pant leg is ripped showing a gruesome scar.  I’m surprised she’s still on her feet.

                “Hey, my style of fighting isn’t always attack sometimes its defense.”

                “Yeah, well defense wouldn’t help you in that situation unless you run up a tree and hide.  You turn around, wait for the attacker.  Always keep a watchful eye out though making sure not anymore are sneaking up behind you or-” I rip out my gun and push Kimberley out of the way shooting another dummy a couple yards away.  The hologram disappears and I stick my gun back in its socket.  “You were saying.”  I smile saying to Kimberley.

                She growls and pushes past me picking up her arrow. 

“Well, since we found each other do you want to just stay together?”  I ask walking up beside her.