Chapter 19: Ronnie

After a few hours of training the restaurant provides dinner.  Tonight they have chicken, vegetables, mashed potatoes, corn or peas, bread and rice.  They also have salad.  I take some chicken and bread.  Then walk over and get a scoop of peas and rice. I have some mashed potatoes. 

                I walk over to a table and Saige comes to sit next to me. Ivan sits with his friends but Kimberley and Blake come to sit with us.  Jason wasn’t there.  He must have gone out with friends for the night.  Waitresses come around and pour people glasses of water.

                I start to eat my chicken when Logan pulls up seat with us.  “Well, what’s the gossip around these parts?”  He asks taking a bite of bread.  I see Kimberley curl her lip.  She doesn’t even hesitate to get up and leave the table.  She walks out of the restaurant taking her food with her.  Probably going back to our room.

                “What is something I said?”  Logan asks the table.  Blake shakes his head swallowing a piece of chicken. 

                “No, she’s just mad about today, and you know how she holds grudges.”  He says taking some peas.  He chuckles a bit.  “She still hasn’t gotten over James.”  Blake swallows and continues. “She shall never forgive him when he slapped her across the face and almost beat her up for something she didn’t even do.”

                “Well, I get that, but I was just trying to help her today at school.  I didn’t do anything wrong, did I?”

                “Logan, do you ever remember being a teenager?  They always think the parents, or in your case, the . . . the . . .”

                “Legal Guardian.”  Saige helps Blake with the word.                                                                                        

                “Yeah, that, they always think they’re the ones to blame.  They always think they’re right.  They always want to be right but they never want to admit when they’re wrong because then they look like the fool.”  I explain.  “Don’t worry Kimberley will get over this in a couple days?  Maybe a few more.”  I mutter the last part under my breath before taking a mouthful of peas.

                Later that night Kimberley and I were getting ready for bed.  I pull on my Platinum Mountain T-shirt on and black sweat pants.  I throw on some socks and a black sweatshirt.  I grab my phone and walk into Kimberley’s room, realizing she isn’t there.  I look for her in the bathroom, nope, I look for her out in the hall, nope.  Then I remember what Logan taught me.  Search for anything unordinary.

                I get down on my hands and knees and search for things on the ground.  Same as always, a few pairs of socks and some T-shirts.

                I walk over to her phone charger.  Her phone is gone. I know Kimberley would put her phone on her radio charger if she wasn’t using it.  She must be somewhere.  I think of our cousins rooms, but then I think she wouldn’t want to go see them after a day like this . . . she would want to be alone.  Then it hits me.