03 | Weird Introductions

0 3
Weird Introductions

Malia's eyes briefly flash from the road to the screen.

"Do you mind?" she asks.

I immediately shake my head. "It's your car."

She answers the call right away, making me feel like she would have accepted it even if I said I did mind.

"Hey," she greets, smiling brighter than when greeting me earlier.

"Hey, where are you?" A deep voice comes over the speakers, shocking me for a second, as I thought Jalen would be a female. But, hey, who am I to judge the gender of someone based on a name, having been given a unisex name myself.

"I'm on my way. Is David there yet?"

"No. DeDe said she didn't want to go, so she told him to go on his own, but he thinks it's a trap."

Malia laughs, and then the guy laughs too, flooding the car with the sound of their laughter. I fiddle with my fingers in my lap, unsure of what else to do.

"Definitely a trap. She never wants to go out with us. What'd we do to offend her?"

"You mean what did you do to offend her. DeDe loves hanging out with me," the guy says rather confidently.

"Alright playboy, calm down. You shouldn't sound too excited when saying your best friend's girl likes to be around you," Malia says teasingly.

"Everybody likes to be around me," he says breezily.

Malia looks at me and shakes her head. "Anyway, my cousin's in the car. So if there's not anything important you have to say, I'm hanging up."

"Your cousin?" Jalen questions.

"I told you I was most likely bringing her," she says, then turns to me. "I said most likely because part of me thought you were going to back out."

I send her a nervous smile, unable to find my voice because I thought I'd back out too.

"I'm on speaker?" he asks.

"Mhm," Malia says while getting onto a highway and merging into a different lane quit recklessly. I close my eyes for a moment, worried for our safety. "Lyndon, this is Jalen. Jalen, this is my cousin, Lyndon."

My eyes open at her words, and I look at her as she nods her head towards the phone and me as she talks. Does she really find it necessary to introduce us while driving?

"Hi, Lyndon. Nice to, kind of, meet you," Jalen says, making my eyes fly toward the screen as if his face will magically pop up.

"It's Lyndon," Malia says sharply.

"That's what I said, Malia," he mimics her tone.

"Oh, he did?" Malia turns briefly to me and asks.

I nod my head and giggle. "Yeah, he did. Hi, Jalen. Nice to, kind of, meet you, too."

"Whatever," she comments as she switches lanes again, sending my heart crash-landing into my ass.

"Malia, you're driving?" Jalen asks.

"Yes, sir. Why? Want a ride? I'm already pretty far from your house, but maybe if you beg I'll feel nice and turn around."

Jalen laughs, and since this time he's the only one doing so, I'm able to just hear the sound, and it brings a smile to my face. "I'd rather walk than get in your car. I'm only asking so I can tell Lyndon good luck. I hope you make it out alive."