Hope

Danny's P.O.V.

"Ugh." I groaned, it had been a long night, building up walls and tearing some down.

I noticed immidiately I wasn't in the med bay anymore, and I was extremely greatful for that. The white walls brought back too many painful memories.

I got up, standing slowly and headed for the door, but I hesitated. I don't know why, but I had a weird feeling in the bottom of my stomach...oh, wait...i just need to pee.

I took a step back and went to the bathroom, peeing and taking a quick shower. The scars have been burning less and less these days, and I was incredibly greatful for that.

I brushed my teeth and walked out of my bathroom. I was walking to the closet with the towel still wrapped around my waist when there was a knock on my door.

"Umm...who is it?" I asked quietly. I was still getting used to Cy, BB, and Star. It would be awkward if any of them wanted to talk to me at this hour, which reminded me...what time is it?

I stole a quick glance at the clock.

3:45 p.m.?!

"Hey, it's me Dick. Can I come in?" I heard my brother say, slightly muffled through the door. I didn't really feel comfortable with showing him my scars, but I trusted him with everything, and I need to get this weight off of my chest.

"Umm, sure. I hope you don't mind me changing in front of you, dude. I'm kinda naked in here." I mumbled, opening the door slightly. He opened it, and I saw his eyes widen before I turned around to look for clothes.

I felt extremely vulnerable right now, and I don't want to feel that way with my brother, ever.

"It's okay, bro. It's just...I'm not exactly, uh, used to..." I heard him mumble. I turned around to look at him, and saw him looking away.

"It's okay...for you to look." I whispered, putting on some boxers. He looked at me, probably counting all of the scars before he gestured for me to sit down.

"I don't want to make you uncomfortable." Dick said to me, looking at the giant Y shaped scar on my chest.

"It's okay. I don't want to be uncomfortable around you. I know the others know, and I know they've probably seen them already, but I don't want them to define me by them. I know you won't." I told him, putting on grey sweatpants before I sat down on my bed. He was sitting on the chair that was by the desk in my room, looking at me.

"Of course I won't. I have some scars of my own." He said, looking at his feet. He rested his elbows on his knees, clasping his hands together.

I looked up at him in shock, not knowing what to say. He must have noticed the bewildered look on my face, because he laughed.

"I know, I know. Not only are we superheroes, but we have tons of scars ourselves. It must run in the family." he said tiredly, bringing a chuckle out of me.

"C-can I see them. You don't have to, show me...I was just-"

"No, no. It's okay. This is good...a lot of people don't know about mine either. It's kinda like a secret, only for us to know about." He said, standing up. He pulled off his shirt, making me gasp.

There were slash marks, littering his arms, and a ragged 'J' carved into his chest, right above his heart. A giant 'X' layed in the middle of his chest, along with various burn marks surrounding the letter.

There was a brand, right on his left set if ribs. It was ugly, charred black with the letters 'SLADE'. He turned around, showing me his back. On it were whip scars and blemishes.