Chapter Three

Lucy and Jason had been spending a lot of time together and each moment was precious... To both of them.
"Lucy, honey don't forget your check up later today!" Her mother said as Lucy walked out the door.
She was on her way to school and walked slowly through the gates.
Jason watched her as she walked and before he rushed iver to her side, Goose stopped him.
"Hey, if you like that girl you should tell her." He said.
"Don't be silly, we're just good friends and we get along quite well." Jason replied, but he knew that, that was just a tip of an iceberg when it came to his feelings towards her.
"Go to your girl." Goose said wirh a smile and dragged Bobby away with him.
As Jason walked towards her, he admired her style yet again.
Yellow sneakers, a white skirt just above the knee with red stripy stockings and a dark blue shirt with another inspirational quote on it.
Her short hair was combed neatly and her strange little necklace with the lock of hair, was still around her neck.
"My Lady, I see you have new glasses." Jason's voice rang through her ears and she smiled.
"Yes, I have quite a lot of them. If one should break than I have one on standby." She said with a little chuckle.
"That's good that you're prepared." He said.
"Jason... You know you don't have to wait here for me everyday. What about your friends?" She asked.
"Oh I've been talking to them for quite a while before you came and they just went off on their own." He said.
"Probably to do a little mischief." Lucy smiled.
She walked with Jason to her locker.
"Can I ask you something?" He said.
"You just did."
"Okay, but..."
Lucy sighed and then smiled.
"Why not. Surprise me!" She said as they walked down the halls.
Jason smiled and looked at her from head to toe.
"Do you know what your clothes look like, before you choose them?" He asked and she chuckled.
"Of course, everything in my closet is labeled with braille tags." She answered.
"If that's so, then you purposely choose to wear... These..." He said as he pointed at her.
She laughed while walking.
"Yes, I don't like to spend my life being ordinary. I should live it and spice up the fragrance, you never know which breath is your last." She answered.
"So you mean to tell me that you wear funky clothes because you want to stabd out and be different?" He questioned.
"Bingo! Why blend into the crowd, when you can be a chameleon and throw your colors out there?" She said with a smile.
"True..." He agreed and they walked quietly.
A few people passed them by and gave them strange looks.
Jason saw it and stared back at them, causing them to stop glaring and move on.
"You're quiet... Is something the matter?" Lucy asked.
"No no... It's nothing. So listen, I was thinking... Maybe you'd like to come and study over at my place today?" He asked.
She smiled and turned to face in his direction.
"I'd love to, but..."
"But?"
"I have a check up I need to get to this afternoon." She replied sadly.
"Great, I'll come with you." He offered.
"No please, there's no need for that." She said before ealkong away.
Jason quickly caught up to her.
"Please..." He begged.
"Fine." Lucy scoffed.
"Yes!" Jason said and threw a fist pump in the air.
"Keep it down Mr. Clifton!" One of the teachers shouted.
"Sorry Miss Joyce." He said and Lucy laughed while they walked away.
The day went by quickly and Jason was more happy than ever.
He was the only friend Lucy had, she wasn't very social with others.
Who knows what could happen if he didn't offer to go with her?
He knew that the hospital wasn't far so they could walk there if they wanted to.
"Hey Jason!" Greg shouted, he was captain of the football team, but not attractive like in all the movies.
"Hey, Greg. What's up?" He asked as Greg walked over to him.
"Would you consider maybe joining this year?" He asked causing Jason go smile.
"Come here." Jason said and Greg stood next to him while Jason placed his arm over Greg's shoulder.
"You see that girl there?" Jason asked and pointed at Lucy.
"The blind one? What about her?"
"She requires my full attention, besides I have other sport outside of school." He said and pulled back, looking Greg in the eye.
"Like what?" Greg asked.
"Elite Gymnastics." Jason answered before making his way over to Lucy.
After lunch, everything went by like a gentle breeze and Jason waited at the school gate for Lucy.
He watched her walk towards the gate and to him, when suddenly a man on a bike almost ran her over and she fell down.
Instinct took over Jason's body and he rushed over to her immediately.
"Lucy! Lucy!" He shouted and crouched down next to her.
"Hey, are you alright?" He asked and she groaned as she sat back up.
"Ow..." She said and held onto her scrapped knee.
"Ouch... Can you stand?" He asked and she nodded.
He helped her up and tried to walk with her, but she nearly fell down again.
"It won't bend!" She exclaimed out of confusion and shock.
"Don't worry..."Jason assured her.
His valiant behavior just gained him more female admirers.
"I need to get to the hospital today, I have an appointment." She said.
"We'll call your parents, maybe they-"
"No, they work out of town. We moved her because it's closer, but it's still pretty far. By the time they get here, I would've missed my appointment." She said as she hopped along on one leg, while holding on to Jason.
"I wish we could ask my mom, but she's not at the shop today or at home." He said in a frustrating tone.
"If I had money we could've taken the bus..." Lucy said.
"Theb there's only one option." He said.
"What?" She asked.
"The hospital isn't that far, it's about four blocks from the school."
"I can barely walk Jason." She said and he chuckled.
"I know, that's why I'm going to carry you there. Get on my back." He said as he crouched down in front of her.
"No no no no. It'll be terrible for you." She said.
"Lucy, I lift my own weight and swing it around countless times. I think carrying you should be fine." He said with a smirk.
She smiled and reached out with her hand, until she touched the top of his soft yellow hair.
"Wow... Its like a little cloud." She joked and he laughed.
Once she was close enough, she bend down slightly and put her arms around his neck.
Jason took hold of her legs and lifted her up on his back.
"There, see it wasn't so bad." He said and started walking.
"Not yet, but it will get worse."
He walked two blocks and sat her down on a curb near the street.
"Are you alright?" She asked.
"Yeah... I'm good. I just need to sit for a while." He said.
Jason is really fit, he wasn't out if breath or even panting at all.
"Right, let's get going." He said and picked ger up again.
A few minutes later they arrived at the hospital and he walked with her inside to the reception desk.
"Hi, I'm Lucy Adams, here to see Docter Forbes." She said and the woman checked the list.
"Ah, you have an appointment at three. Please sign this and sit in the waiting area." She said kindly.
Jason helped her to sign the chart and took her to a open seat.
"Thank you for coming with me." Lucy said as they sat down.
"Of course, you're a friend in need." He replied.
"So tell me, why yellow?" Jason suddenly asked.
"What?"
"Your shoes... Why yellow?"
"Oh... Well it's like my Goodluck shoes really. I needed them today, my yellow sneak peekers." She said with a smile while she swayed her feet back and forth.
"Sneak peekers?" Jason said with a laugh.
"Yeah, they sneak past the Gods of time and give me a quick peek in the future for good luck." She explained.
"Strange... So why did you need them today?" He asked.
"Because, I want the check up to go well." She answered.
"I see, but it's just a normal check up isn't it?" He asked.
"Yes, but one can never be too careful and besides, hospitals always made me nervous." She said when they suddenly called her name.
"Adams!"
"You want me to come with you?" He asked.
"No... You wait here. I'll be quick." She said with a smile and walked slowly to the doctor's room.
She was in there for quite a while, longer than he thought she would be.
Jason amused himself with the magazines and his phone.
He also told his father that he'll be late.
Lucy came out of the room an hour and a half later.
Her knee was wrapped nicely in a bandage and she walked on her own just fine.
The doctor came out with her, Jason saw a look of sadness on her face.
"You're the friend?" The doctor asked.
Jason smiled and nodded his head.
"Is she alright?" Jason asked. The doctor looked at Lucy and then back at Jason.
"She's perfectly fine, be safe as you go back." He said with a smile.
The two of them walked back to school and all the while Lucy was very quiet.
"Hey, are you alright?" Jason asked.
"Yeah... Im fine. Come on, let's go to your house and study." She said in a cheerful way.
"Yeah, that's a good idea." He agreed.
The two of them waited for his parents.
Lucy allowed Jason to help her call her parents and tell them that she'll be going to Jason's house.
They agreed and she drove home with him and his family.
"Hey Lucy!" His sister said and Lucy greeted her with a smile.
Jason helped her into the car and closed the door for her.
Lucy greeted his mother as well and Jason strapped on her seatbelt for her.
"Destination, Home!" Lucy said loudly and ever one laughed.
They got there and Lucy went up to Jason's room to study.
"Alright so let's tackle the difficult stuff first." Jason suggested as Lucy took a seat on his bed.
"It's a good thing you can't see, causr my room's a mess." He said and she chuckled.
"My favorite stockings is ruined after that little incident."She said and slouched.
"Where in this world have you seen a lady look so glum? Sit up straight and compose yourself before-"
"Lord Hardy and his sister arrives." Lucy finished.
"Is there a book of ancient writing that you haven't read?" Jason asked as he sat down next to her.
"I don't know, but Daniel Taffy is also a very good author and who in their right mind wouldn't want to read his stories?" She asked causing Jason to scoff.
"Half of our student body." He answered and she laughed.
"Well, they don't know what they're missing."
"We're from a different era, to them these stories would seem less fascinating and more boring." He commented.
"Yes, it's sad when you think about it that way." Lucy said.
They studied for a little while before it got dark.
Jason's parents offered to drive her home but she declined, saying that they've done so much already and that she didn't want to burden them.
"Thank you for your hospitality and the snacks, it was delicious. Have a nice evening." Lucy said and walked down the steps, using her flashy pink cane.
Her father thanked them with a wave after he opened the door for Lucy to get in.
"I like that girl Jason." Petunia said as they drove off.
"Yes, she's nice." Jason commented as he closed their front door.
"She seems to know her manners and of course she talks so formal with me, almost like..."
"Hemmings." Jason finished and his mother looked a little surprised at him.
"Yes... Like she's living in a novel." She said.
"Well she does like extravagant authors and she loves reading, but I wouldn't say she lives in a novel. I'd say, she uses her time cautiously to enjoy everything she loves." Jason said.
"Woah... Listen to you! Looks like she's hooked you for sure!" His sister said while rushing upstairs.
"All I'm saying is that she's different and she likes me for my tastes, not my looks."
"Cause she can't see you dummy!" His sister shouted.
"Shut up!" He yelled back.
"Oh I can see she's different." His mother smirked.
"What's that suppose to mean?" He asked.
"Nothing... Just the fact that you would drop everything and go if she needed you..."
"That's what friends do mom." He said and went upstairs.