Chapter 1

Aiesha pov.

"AIESHA! GET THE HELL DOWN AND MAKE DINNER!" as usual, my dad "asks" me to make dinner for him. I turned off my laptop and made my way down stairs, only  to see my dad drunk on the couch. I rolled my eyes, making my way over to our kitchen. We don't have those fancy I-am-so-rich-i-need-a-kitchen-as-big-as-a-house kitchen, our kitchen has has enough space for me to cook.

Ever since mum died, dad turned alcoholic and abusive, he sold our old house and bought a small, cheap house in town, using  the remaining to buy alcohol. It's always alcohol, alcohol, alcohol; when has he ever thought about us? He can be really abusive, but he had never really laid a hand on my baby brother Arron, which is why I can still stand living with him. If he was to lay a hand on him, my brother, the only reason I'm still alive right now, I will, without doubt, leave this house with my brother.

I quickly made dinner, hoping that I could get it ready before my dad wakes up, but luck wasn't on my side when I heard a crash, then a groan following.

"AIESHA, SERIOUSLY, DIDN'T I TELL YOU TO MAKE DINNER?! WHERE ARE YOU?!" He shouted as he stumbled into the kitchen, then he saw me and started walking towards me until I can smell the alcohol in his breath.

" I told you to get dinner ready, not to stand around in the kitchen, JUST LIKE YOUR MOTHER, SO USELESS!"

He was enraged as he slapped me hard in the face. I held my cheeks and cried out in pain. He slapped me again, but this time harder; I was sure a bruise is going to form tomorrow when I go to school. My cheeks burned as my eyes watered from the sting.

I tried not to look weak in front of him, he hates it when I look weak, saying that it reminds him of mother; how dare he say that? Mother left the most wonderful memories with me, but who was he to ruin it? yeah, that's right, he has no place to ruin it.

"Sorry, dad, dinner is nearly ready" I watched him walk away, satisfied with my answer. I finish making dinner and set the tables up. I then went up stairs to wake Arron up. Arron had been sleeping after a day of kindergarten. Arron is quite tall for a seven year old, he has baby blue eyes, very smooth and soft skin, a dimple and a smile that could light up your day.

Dad was already eating when we went down stairs.

"How's my boy today?" dad asked

I mentally rolled my eyes, as if you care. when my brother didn't answer, my dad started to get angry "I ASKED HOW WAS YOUR DAY, ARE YOU A MUTE?!" Arron shrunk back behind me, terrified by Dad's sudden anger.

"It's been great, hasn't it Arron?" I quickly filled in for him. He nodded his head, still hiding behind me. Dad looked at him for a long time, sighed, then went back eating. Breathing out a sigh of relief, we went and joined him for dinner.

After dinner, I washed up and told Arron to go to bed as he has kindergarten tomorrow.

"Aieeeshaaa, but i don't want to goo, its early~" He whined.

"Come on honey, lets go to sleep before dad sees you still awake and gets angry." He pouted then made his way up stairs. awwww, what a cutie. I followed him up stairs and went to our bedroom. Yes, we share a bedroom as a fact that I am the one who actually looks after him.

"Aieesha"

"yes Arron?"

"where is mummy? when will she come back? I forgot how she looked like."  I stared at him, his eyes are filled with sadness, and a hint of curiosity; this made my heart clench, I don't know how to tell him, to tell a child this young that his mother was long gone; no, I don't have the heart to do such thing.

"she is.. somewhere far away" I stuttered, struggling to look for words.

"How far? will she come back to us?" he asked me, the sadness in his voice broke my heart.

"I don't know honey, maybe one day, one day..." I reassured him and myself.

" I still don't understand..."

"It's okay honey, one day you would understand, one day... come on, lets sleep, we both have school tomorrow" I suggested..

"Okay." He answered and laid back down onto his bed.

That night, long after Arron went to sleep, I stayed awake thinking, thinking about my life so far, and how life would've been like if mum was still alive.