Part 6 The Thief in the Darkness

Kan and Ornoc left the Fishermen’s Folly and mounted their horses, just as the sun vanished behind the horizon, the night was setting in, and Kan knew it was time to recover the portal shard.

“Are you sure stealing a dying man’s sword is wise?” Asked Ornoc as they cantered their stallions down the southern causeway towards the village of Myrn

“Profitable, but maybe not wise.” Replied Kan “Anyway, we don’t know that he is dying, I thought he was breathing when we crept out.”

“I would have thought that would be worse.” Returned Ornoc “An alive person can chase after a thief.”

“Thief, you wound me.” Smiled Kan “Opportunist, I prefer.”

“Well if a Blood Rapier, finds you with one of their sword, I’m sure they will take the opportunity to show you their appreciation, by driving their sword into your stomach.” Chuckled Ornoc

“You might have a good point there.” Mused Kan

“A very valid point.” Sniggered Ornoc

“Hang on,” said Kan as he slowed his steed down to a stop “I’m going to change this red blade into my sheath and attach my old sword to my saddle.”

“I thought we were in a hurry?” Asked Ornoc as his stomach rumbled and he thought about the stew, he never got to eat.

“We are,” muttered Kan as he fastened his old sword on to his horse, hiding all but the hilt under his saddle bags

“The nights closing in.” observed Ornoc as dark crept over the village before them “Which way do you think the scarred infected man went?”

  “The opposite direction to us, I hope.” Ponder Kan as he spotted some damaged fishing net at the side of the road. “Here help me with these?”

“Smelly old disused fishing nets!” dismissed Ornoc as he reluctantly got down from his mount “Stealing swords, is one thing, broken fishing equipment, is even a step too low for you, Kan.”

“Very funny,” mocked Kan as he scooped up the nets, with little help from Ornoc and threw them onto the back of his horse, to the disapproving snort of the animal. “I’ve got a use for them don’t worry.”

“If you say so.” Wondered Ornoc as they both remounted their steeds and continued down the dusty causeway

“I do.” Muttered Kan as they made their decent towards Myrn

“I hope that Duchess Ponor, finds a safe passage to Brightport?” contemplated Ornoc “Now with her protection, dead or at the very least injured.”

“What,” frowned Kan not understanding a word Ornoc had just said