Chapter 4

At the Horan Hell Hole-

"You haven't been to work in months."

"Just give me some time!"

"That's all we've been giving you." The boss sighed. "We have to let you go. You aren't being responsible for this job."

"This is all I have to pay for-"

"I'm sorry. You're fired."

He hangs up and throws the phone across the room. He gets up and leaves the house, heading to the nearest bar.

 Not even hours later he's on his sixth drink.

"That disrespectful boy left the house the other day."

"Niall?"

"Yeah. Little brat."

The bartender frowned, "That's new."

He raised an eyebrow at the employed man and rolled his eyes.

Now we follow Harry-

"Ah, another basket case."

"Niall isn't a basket case, neither are the others. I like them all very much."

Gemma chuckled, "Haz, you're too nice of a guy. Of course you like them."

"Mom, tell Gem to knock it off." Harry glared at his sister.

She shoves his shoulder, "Oh I'm only kidding Harry. When do I get to meet this Niall?"

Harry hears footsteps and smiles, "Now!"

He runs to the stairs and grabs Niall's wrist, "I want you to meet someone."

Niall lets Harry pull him to the living room.

"Gemma, this is Niall. Niall this is my sister Gemma."

"Hello Niall." She smiles.

Her smile is different from Harry's.

Niall only waves shyly. Harry's proud of him nonetheless.

"And this is my mom." Harry introduces.

"You're all so close." Niall mumbles when he and Harry are out that day.

"Isn't that normal?"

"I was close with Greg and mom."

Niall's voice breaks a little and Harry wants to cry. He doesn't though, he wraps an arm around him. "You can be close to my family then."

"Thank you."

--

Niall trudges through the hallway to Harry's locker.

"Ready for lunch?" He asks.

Niall looks arouind for anyone before mumbling a 'yes'. They make their ways to meet with the boys in the cafeteria. Harry sits beside Niall, everyone else across.

"Hi Niall!" They greet happily.

Niall ducks his head and nods at them. Louis narrows his eyes curiously when he sees Niall lean closer to Harry.

"Something important we're missing?"

Niall shakes his head and leans over to whisper to Harry, "I'm not ready to talk."

Harry smiles at Niall and ruffles his hair, "Then don't."

Niall blushes and nods turning back to the three.

"What'd you do all weekend?" Zayn attempts small talk.

"Liam and I were at yours Z." Louis answers and pushes Zayn. "Other than that him and I stayed home."

Liam nods, something they all do a lot. 

"Niall was at mine." Harry smiles so happily that Niall's chest tightens, "That was quite fun, yeah?" His eyes are now on Niall.

Niall nods and Harry doesn't miss the way his eyes lit up. Liam smiles at the two. 

"On friday, will we have ice cream again?"  Liam asks.

"Most likely, why?" Harry looks to him with a tilt of the head.

"Just excited is all."

All through lunch Liam was bouncing in his seat, smiling and giggling. Niall felt like he wanted to smile but he couldn't, not now. 

After school Niall was sat in a bakery with Harry. Harry bought him a danish.

"You don't have to force yourself to do anything." Harry handed Niall a napkin when he noticed crumbs on his face.

Niall tried to clean up but he missed some, "I know." He says and Harry smiles.

"Like, I'm okay with being the only one you talk to and stuff. I know it's tough." He chuckles when Niall gives up with wiping his face. Instead, Harry leans across the table and wipes the last bit of flaky crumb off his cheek.

"Well aren't you two cute."

 Niall jumps at the sudden voice and makes a small squeak. They could have possibly heard him speak.

"When'd you get here Z?" Harry asks.

"I just saw you talking to Niall when I passed by."

Niall sighs in relief. Zayn looks from Niall to Harry. They talk quietly, not even Niall can hear them.

--

It is late when Niall's phone buzzes. His dad is texting him, obviously he's drunk.

I miss you boy

This makes Niall's stomach flip and he hovers over the screen on his phone with his thumbs.

You still are my champ, Ni

Maybe he isn't drunk for once.