Chapter 2

The next day Harry saw Niall at school. However, he did not see Louis. Louis missed a lot of school so it was no surprise.

"Hey, did Lou say anything?" Liam asked, his voice quiet as always.

"No, nothing." Zayn answered. "We had a test in English so that's probably why he's not here." 

Harry turned to look around the hallway for a blond head of hair. He came into sight and Harry smiled.

"Niall!" He ran over to him. "Liam, Zayn and I were planning on going out for some ice cream after school. Want to come along? We do this every friday"

Niall looked Harry then eyed the people behind him. He nodded.

"Great! We're going at four."

Niall nods and leaves them with a wave and Harry, of course, hugged him (which he didn't return).

--

To say their ice cream get together was awkward was an understatement. They were sitting together at a table. Someone who doesn't talk or have an emotion that is visible (Niall), someone who looks around like he's lost and nervous all the time (Zayn), someone who looks frightened about everyone around him (Liam), and someone with a bright and happy smile (Harry). It was silent as all of them ate their ice cream. Harry just smiled at his friends and ate happily.

"Fucking stupid!"

"Oh, there's Louis." Liam smiled and looked up.

Louis walked over to them with a glare at no one specific. He sat beside Liam where there was already a waffle bowl with vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup waiting.

"What's the matter Lou?" Liam asked.

"The stupid school called my parents because I missed three tests today. Why would there be three damn tests on the same day?"

Liam pouted a little and leaned towards Louis.

When Harry had become friends with them they were sort of a package deal. Louis was always worried about people hurting Liam and Liam was always worried about Louis lashing out at everyone. They were in the courtyard with a crying Liam when Harry met them. To this day they have not told Harry the reason why he was crying and Harry is perfectly fine with that. He respects his friends and gives them the space they want.

"Was the test easy in English?"

The four nod at Louis.

"French?"

Liam Nods.

"Math?"

Two nods (Liam and Niall), a shake of the head (Zayn), and nothing (Harry).

"Majority rules. Everything was easy." Louis scoops some ice cream and flings it at Niall.

"Louis!" Harry scolds and gets some napkins from the center of the table. "I'm sorry Niall." He dabs the ice cream off of Nialls shirt and gets another napkin to cleans off Niall's face. "What was that Louis?!"

Liam flinches at Harry's voice raise. 

Louis just laughs, "I-I'm sorry." He struggles through his laughter, "It's just he- he was so quiet. I w-wanted to get something out o-of him."

Zayn joined in laughing, then Liam, then Harry. 

Niall stared at them, seeing how well they got along. He noticed Harry smiling at him.

"That was the first time I saw you smile." He said, finishing wiping the ice cream off of Niall's nose.

Niall did not even notice that he was smiling. He quickly dropped his expression and looked down to his hands. Harry frowned slightly but started smiling again.

After they all (except Niall) spoke for a while they decided to leave.

"I'll drive you home." Harry insisted.

Niall shook his head.

"Are you sure?"

Niall nodded.

"Can I see your phone?"

Niall hesitated. The crack on his screen was huge and a bit embarrassing. Either way, he took his phone out of his pocket and gave it to Harry.

Harry took the phone and put his phone number in. Niall pocketed his touch screen phone.

"I want you to text me when you're home. Send me anything. I just want to make sure you get home safely."

Harry went away with a final goodbye and a hug that Niall did not return.

--

To: Harry

Home

Niall click send and watched as the blue bar filled and delivered the message

From: Harry

Okay, have a good day. Thank you for coming.

To: Harry 

Thank you for today

Niall was happy when he saw Harry read the text but did not reply. He felt relieved that he would not be holding a conversation. He gets nervous talking. He messed up once, he will not mess up again. 

Niall opened his front door to see the lights off. There was a single plate on the kitchen table with scraps of food on it. Other than that, the house was empty. Niall saw a note on the table.

Won't be home for a while. I think there's enough food in the refrigerator

It read.

Niall looked in the refrigerator and saw a carton of milk. He checked the expiration date seeing it was still good and he made himself a bowl of cereal. After eating he showered and changed, getting his guitar and going out for a walk. He went to a bakery and got a muffin and a tea. 

Once he arrived at his usual spot in the park he sat on the same bench as always. He took some time to just sit there and enjoy the calm moment. He liked it better here than his house. His house seemed so dark and just painful. But the park  was quiet, no thoughts crowding his mind because this is where he thinks. He lets his thoughts out in this spot. He drank and ate while thinking.

After an hour he grabbed his guitar and just strummed. Nothing specific. He later thought of a song and started humming Remembering Sunday and playing it on the guitar.

"You're really good at that."

Niall jumped, almost letting out a squeak.

"I'm sorry." Harry sat beside him. "I had a feeling you'd be here again."

Niall puts his guitar down and shrugs his shoulder.

Harry was smiling at him. He's always smiling. It's somehow comforting. Happiness is comforting to Niall.

"Do you walk here?"

Niall nods and lets out a yawn.

"Do you want me to walk you home? You're tired."

Niall shakes his head and leans his head back.

Harry just watched as his eyes slowly fluttered closed. His skin looked soft with his rosy cheeks. He noticed the length of Niall's eyelashes. He was a very beautiful person and Harry just wants to talk to him. Harry smiled and turned away feeling a weight on his shoulder. Niall's head had fallen to rest on Harry's shoulder. 

He carefully sat Niall up and slung the guitar over his shoulder. He picked Niall up and carried him as he walked. He didn't know where Niall lived so he just took him back to his place.

"Oh, Harry. Who is this?"

"This is Niall. He fell asleep so I took him here. I'm gonna lay him down then go to sleep. Goodnight mom."

"Goodnight Harry."

Harry put Niall on his bed and he laid on the floor with an extra pillow and blanket. He didn't want to make Niall uncomfortable.