Chapter 3

"I'm sorry I wasn't home last night dad." Niall left Harry's before anyone was awake.

"It's fine, where were you?"

"A friend's house."

His dad sat on the couch and downed his can of beer. It was 5 in the morning, a little early for beer.

"Are you hungry dad?" Niall asked.

"No, if you are I can give you money to buy some stuff."

"Maybe in a little. I'm gonna clean for a bit."

"Before that, hand me a drink."

Niall goes off to the kitchen and gets a bottled water, giving it to his dad.

"What the hell is this?" He grabs the bottle.

Niall shrugs, "I thought that maybe you'd want a water."

"No. I do not want a fucking water." He grumbles as he walks off and out the front door, slamming it on his way out.

Niall went around cleaning like he did everyday. When he finished he got his phone then went out again. He saw a text message.

From: Harry

Good morning

To: Harry

Good morning, thank you for letting me stay over.

The text messages went back and forth for a while. Niall went to that bakery and got a coffee and a scone. He sat by the window and ate silently.

--

Again, Niall walked to the same park and sat down. It was earlier than usual but for some reason he hoped Harry would come across that bench and talk to him. 

"Is that you Niall?"

Well, he got something similar.

Niall turns and sees Liam and Louis.

"How have you been?" Liam asks, "Wait, you might not feel like answering that. Do you like hanging out with us?"

Niall nods and Liam and Louis smile. 

"You know, Harry did this to all of us. We went through the same process, Zayn, Liam and I. Little prat is persistent." Louis rolls his eyes

Liam pushes him playfully, "Oh shush! You know you're happy he was there."

Niall sat there and listened to what they had to say about Harry. Everything made him want to talk to him. They parted ways later on and Niall returned home. His dad still wasn't home. He just prepared lunch and dinner then went to his room.

--

He had dinner alone again. It wasn't until four in the morning his dad came stumbling in with some unfamiliar woman. The lady was clinging to his arm as they made they way upstairs. Niall scoffed when he heard the bedroom door shut. 

Not wanting to hear anything he got ready for school and went out for the rest of the time. When the sun came up he walked to school and waited for school hours to begin.

Harry noticed the bags under Niall's eyes and how they were slightly puffy. He saw how Niall didn't meet anyone's eyes and how his head was always down. He decided it was best to leave Niall on his own for a little and Niall was so thankful he did. He wanted to be alone.

It didn't end there. This process continued for two more weeks and Niall was disgusted. He was embarrassed and grossed out and ashamed. Not once was it the same lady his dad took home.

"Dad, can we have dinner together for once?"

His dad groaned but nodded. They went downstairs and Niall watched his dad sit down He got his dad a beer and went to get plate. He hit his hip on the counter on his way to the table and stumbled, dropping the plates with a crash. They shattered and he flinched.

"I'll clean it up." Niall mumbled and went to get the broom.

"Are you kidding? Niall, you said you had everything under control while your mom is away. You said you were going to take care of everything until she comes back!" His dad yelled.

"She isn't coming back though!" And at this point, Niall couldn't stop. "Every night you came home with some slag! You still think mom will come back to you! She left you and-"

A loud slap sounded and Niall's face turned on impact. His cheek stung and burned and he felt tears prick his eyes when his dad started again.

"You are so ungrateful! I try my best for you and you insult the people around me. Your mother is coming back. You don't know a damn thing!"

Niall glared at his dad before he ran up to his room. He packed in his bag what was important and what he thought was needed. He took his cellphone and called a very important number.

"Hello?"

Niall only sniffled and let out a quiet sob.

"Niall? Tell me what's wrong?"

"Harry, meet me at the park." He said quietly and if Harry wasn't paying attention he would have missed it.

"Of course, I'll be there soon."

They hung up and Niall went back downstairs. His dad was sitting on the couch, another bottle in his hand but this was not beer. Some other alcohol. Niall opened the front door.

"Where do you think you're going?"

"It doesn't matter. Don't be surprised if I leave you just like mom did." He slammed the door right when he heard a shatter.

His dad had thrown the bottle at the door. He ran over to the park and saw a car parked by the sidewalk. Harry came out of the car and took Niall's bag. He opened the door for Niall and once they were seated Harry drove Niall back to his place. The only thing heard in the car was Niall crying. 

"C'mon Niall. We'll go to my room and talk."

Niall nods his head and they go into the house.

--

Harry sat on the bed with a sleeping Niall. Niall's head was on Harry's lap. He combed his hands through Niall's hair.

"What happened?"

Harry looked up at the voice seeing as it was his mother's, "We haven't spoken yet." He wiped the tears off of Niall's cheeks gently, "We got here and I just let him cry for a little. He seemed so tired and broken."

His mom smiled sadly, "I'll make you two something.When he wakes up make him eat and drink."

"Thanks."

Harry looked down at Niall's face. There was a bright red mark on his cheek and Harry sighed with a frown.

Niall woke up an hour later. Harry was looking down at him.

"My mom made us some stuff. Do you want to talk or eat first?" 

"I'm not in the mood for talking yet."

Harry smiled, "Then sit here and I'll bring you some food."

Niall watched as he left the room. Sighing when the door closed. He wiped his face and sat against the headboard. Harry returned with a bowl of stew for Niall. He gives it to him and occupies himself with finding CD's. He decides to just play music off his phone.

Niall knows the song. Brown Sugar by The Rolling Stones. Niall listens to Harry quietly sing.

They weren't talking to each other when Niall was eating. He sat on the ground, not wanting to spill anything on the sheets. Harry took the bowl back once he finished and washed it, running back up the stairs.

He smiled at Niall and pulled him into a hug, "You spoke to me for the first time."

Niall hugged back, "I don't want to go home." He mumbled.