Grace and Sunshine amidst gloom.

Prayer...when was the last time he prayed? Like so many things in Aditya's life, this too he could not recollect. As he walked in between the aisles the lights from the hundreds of candles radiated making him adjust his vision. He looked up at the statue of the Mother and the son, he had no clue if divinity exists or not but somehow the innumerable setbacks of his life, for that moment, had set into oblivion and replaced by what felt like grace. The entire cathedral emanated grace with it's magnificent statues and inscriptions and amidst the lights of the candle she had her eyes closed praying deeply, he did not need an epiphanic moment like this to realise that she was his solace, his 'sukoon'. If time could freeze and if there was God somewhere Aditya wanted this moment to be stilled. This moment when her traces fell like shadow hiding half of her face, when her nose ring glistened more than he had ever seen and her eyebrows drooped in deep prayer.

Flashback

"I can't see her go this way Roshnaq do something you know how much I love her" Wasim Siddiqui's desperate cry from the other side of the  created a lump in his throat.

'Chachu samhaliye apne aap ko, Chachi ammi hain Zoya ki we can only imagine what she must be going through'. Dr. Naushad was consoling them.

Aditya wanted to unlock the wooden door and barge into Wasim's study but stopped himself midway. 

His mind went blank, his vision blackened until he felt a light tap on his shoulder, Dr Naushad Rizvi looked into his eyes as if trying to read his mind.

Dr. Naushad Rizvi asked Aditya to accompany him for a drink, the two men sat on the bar stools of a quiet pub gulping down their drinks not facing each other.

"What happened doctor I thought she was recovering?" Aditya broke the silence.

'She has been battling from a rare type of cancer, it is partly genetic, her grandmother from father's side had it. Wasim uncle always knew about it the main reason why he is so protective about her.'

Naushad gave a side glance to the broken man beside him too numb to react.

'You know Aditya I know her ever since she was born, we share this special bond, even though we grew apart after growing up she was always there for me. She helped me while I was going through a painful divorce, I was the first one to know about Yash and lately she had your name mentioned in every sentence she uttered'. Both of them broke into a smile.

"I gave her a hard time when she first came to Mumbai bro" Adi gulped his drink bitterly.

"I wanted to destroy everything that she held dear and now I can't think about a time without her." Aditya closed his eyes for the pain was unbearable.

'Go and tell her what she means to you man' Naushad gave a gentle push to the Adi's shoulder, as Adi rushed out of the bar he hurriedly called Arjun who informed him about the Church.

Flashback ends......

She opened her eyes to the sight of his towering figure and smiled warmly as he advanced closer to her.

"Arjun and Noor are outside, Arjun was a little annoyed that I am here in the Church a little drunk" as usual his confession brought a smile to her lips as she lighted some candles and he was glad she smiled because of him. 

"I was with your Naushad Bhaijaan Zoya, he told me everything. Tell me all this is a lie." He stood their piercing her with his intense glare.

'Come and light some candles' she offered him a bright candle.

He silently obeyed her, the glistening of the candles made their eyes shine brighter.

"The last time I was in this place I needed a place to sleep peacefully and these candles kept me warm all night, all thanks to that unknown person who lit them all". He said while sitting next to her.

Perhaps the warmth of the candle and his presence made Zoya lose all her fatigue, she had insisted that she wished to light the candles and her parents could not deny it. She came here often ever since she was a little girl in happiness and sorrow and now since death seemed to be so near she felt an obligation to light the candles for her loved ones and also for him. Sitting next to her with hollow eyes that crisp white shirt accentuated his chocolate coloured skin, the light stubble, blue denim and his ever so dear brown leather jacket made him look more handsome. 

"Why are you smiling" he asked confused.

She just nodded her head in negative but he was not convinced, he suddenly placed his hand on her knees and gently knelt in front of her. His eyes reflected her pain and to his surprise she started to push back his hair from his forehead. If only she knew what effect those rhythmic stroke of hers had in his body and soul. 

"You look more handsome this way" she whispered almost lovingly.

'Why are you doing this to me Zoya?' His voice was hoarse and eyes still shut.

He clasped her hand tightly  as it slided through his rough jawline in an attempt to retreat.

"I always knew you had a hard heart behind this delicate mask". He wanted to hurt her today.

"You trapped me into staying here away from everything familiar to me in fact you lured me into coming to Mussoorie so that you could see me breaking everyday."

A soft moan escaped her mouth when his strong fingers roughly caught her jaws bringing their lips only inches apart from each other. In the silence of the Church their ragged breathing was the most distinct sound, his a strong smell of neat Brandy and hers a faint smell of cinnamon and chocolate. 

"Not anymore Zoya Siddiqui, you have to free me from this spell I want to go away from you." Having said that he hid his face on her neck, kissing her collarbone he gradually hid his face deep in her lap while she engulfed him in her arms.

'I feel so safe in your arms Aditya, thank you for keeping me safe always. You have always brought those qualities out of me that I never thought I had it in me.' She said in between her sobs.

"Like slapping and screaming at someone," his remarks made her gently hit his shoulders followed by a soft laughter. 

"More like having a good laugh during adversaries." Their laughter and tears intermingled just as their fingers intertwined, both saviouring the present for the uncertainty of the future frightened them to no end.

Yet again he dozed off peacefully amidst the warmth of the hundred Church candles, his head resting on her warm lap with her head overlapping on his back. 

When all the candles had burnt, the Sunrays flooded in between the aisles the chiming of the Church bell and the warm rays hitting his eyes awoke him. Aditya quickly embraced her sleeping form for her body was cold.

"Zoya, God we fell asleep here you must be feeling so cold" he held her like a baby, cradling her in his arms kissing her forehead and at times frantically rubbing her bare feet. He carried her in his arms hurriedly to rush her home but suddenly he halted, her small fist was pulling his shirt a little too tightly,

'Aditya Kya aap humare saath snowfall dekhne jayenge? Hum na aapko apne favourite spot le jayenge ayenge na humare saath.'

He did not know whether to laugh or cry at that moment, why was she so endearing he wondered at times.

"Of course I will go, but right now let's get you home okay". She cuddled  in his arms as he lifted her in his arms thanking God for his grace before leaving the Church gates.