Consumed

The pond had no name. It was always known as the pond where white lilies grows and here Zoya and Noor as little girls would peep to have the first glance of the moon during Eid. Zoya would read Enid Blyton stories to her sister sitting next to the very pond but her favorite past time had always been to catch a glimpse of the reflection of the starry night, sometimes the moon or just one's own image amidst the white lilies floating above the clear water.

After ages she glanced at the water to see her frail self, the toil of the last few months were reflected on her features. Fate had crushed her, the man she thought she loved had left her and left this world, her family that she had abandoned for the man was on the verge of losing her again for apart from the emotional turmoil physical sickness was consuming her gradually. Her eyes and nose ring glistened in the reflection.

"Your not suppose to cry it affects your health why do you keep forgetting." His deep voice from behind radiated the familiar warmth throughout her body.

"Why are you here all alone this late? Who brought you here?" His overprotective tone was evident.

'I grew up here Aditya there's no chance of me getting lost here and besides I was with Noor she went inside just now for help ammi and she said she will send you.' Zoya dropped her voice and her eyes in the last part of the sentence.

"Roshana aunty prepares the best dinner for Arjun and me I wish she would not put such effort" Her smile was a sense of relief he was glad that he could clear the air of awkwardness. Adi sat next to Zoya relishing her presence, her fragrance mixed with the night air and her nose ring glistening attributed to a dull ache in his chest. The locks covering his forehead, the stubble and those dark eyes made her realise that in the last few days he was so emotionally invested in her well being that he had completely ignored himself. She could sense a lump on her throat hence she blurted out,

" When are you going back home? She deliberately avoided his eyes.

'Within a few days', came a rather surprisingly calm answer.

"They need you Aditya, your parents, Sakshi aunty they depend upon you and Arjun for little joys of life go back to your life Aditya" He did not utter a word and she did not had the courage to look in his eyes.

"I will be fine don't worry about me. There are so many people to take care of me and I promise I will take my medication on time and never forget my shawl when I go out." Zoya faced him with a smile but she could not read the expression in Aditya's dark eyes. She once again faced the pond but the splash of water on her face disrupted the peaceful ambience. Aditya's large hands were splashing the water and his blank expression spoke volumes about his wrath. His eyes were fixed on her face which appeared achingly tender with droplets of water. She held his hands in an attempt to stop the madness only to find herself a captive in his strong arms.

'Will you care to ask me what I need Shehzadi?' His voice was dangerously low.

"Humein dard ho raha, please humein jaane dijiye Aditya". She pleaded.

'Do you even have any idea what you do to me?' Adi rubbed his stubbled chin through her long neck. The warmth his body radiated was overwhelming and she could feel her heart pounding in her chest.

"Aditya please... someone might be coming."She pleaded.

'Do you know what it feels like to count leaves of a tree in every free time you get?' His face continued to relish her smell as he buried his nose in the hollow of her collar bone.

'My dreams are haunted by that Chinnar tree and you Miss Zoya Siddiqui.' His voice was rough with emotions.

"You are saying all this to a woman whose husband left her for another woman and might not live for too long?" Fragile yet challenging this was Zoya Siddiqui that he had come to admire.

'What will I be left with? Dreams and stories? No Zoya I will not let you leave me in your world of stories and fairytale dreams.' He was completely leaning his forehead touching her shoulder. Their breathing was heavy, both emotionally drained.

'I love you Zoya...and I hate myself for doing so'.

"Phupi" their trance was broken when a little girl came rushing towards Zoya hugging her stomach.

'Aaliya, meri pari agayi' Zoya leaned to kiss her forehead. Adi's hands had still not left her waist it was only when Wasim and Naushad approached that Zoya gently detached herself from Adi with an almost apologetic look in her eyes.

Aaliya gently led Zoya by her hand and Wasim not only noticed his daughters clothes and hair a little drenched with water but also the silent way she expected Aditya Hooda to follow her inside the house.