5

Ava's POV

The moment I hear his voice I freeze.

"Ava?" I hear him struggling to take his shoes off at the door, and walk up a few steps. "Ava!" his voice points in the direction of by bedroom door.

My body becomes mobile again, so I scurry to grab some high socks. I'm in such a hurry to step into my doorway that I leave my socks all at my ankles instead of pulling them up.

Slowly, I exit the shadows of my room and step into the hallway. The bright light of the sunset shining through the immense window blinds me, like that moment when you leave the movie theater. Seeing Jack and his tousled datk hair makes me stiffen again.

"Hi," he looks up at me from the second step.

"Hi..." Nervously, I rub my arm with my hand, fighting the cold.

"How are you?" He asks, like he always does.

I look down, thinking about my answer for a second. But before I know it, he has raced up the stairs and I'm bundled in his warm embrace.

Hesitantly, I hug back, wrapping my arms around his strong torso.

"I'm sorry,"

Jack's POV

"I'm sorry," I whisper down into her hair.

"For what?" she pretends she doesn't know what I mean. I'm used to Ava trying to hide her feelings.

"I- I'm sorry for what I said earlier. That's not how I feel at all. You know that I love you. But recently, I feel like I..," I hesitate with my next words.

Ava looks up at me, her chin on my chest and her arms still wrapped around me. "What is it?"

I release her body and take her hand, pulling her up the last few step to the second floor.

"I think... I think I'm falling in love with you,"

Her eyes widen, and I have a second-long feeling of regret. But then her lips part into a smile and she leans up and presses them to mine. It's a short, sweet kiss, with so much meaning.

We walk into her room, but before she can kiss me again we both hear Molly and turn to the door.

"Ava? Ava, I'm here!"

Molly's POV

"Do you want to know something?" I say to Gavin.

We've been sitting at this same table for some time, talking and getting to know eachother. It's nice to make a new friend- I've only had Dylan, Ava and Jack for most of my life, and a few other fake bitches along the way.

"What?" Gavin eyes are bright and filled with wonder.

"When I saw you, my friends thought you were checking me out. It was stupid of them to think."

I feel the red bursting onto my face, immediately regretting telling him useless information.

"Oh... but I was," he smirks. "I mean, yes, of course I had you're drink to give to you, but you kept catching my eye. You're drop-dead gorgeous!" his cheeks are flushed too. He looks down and begins playing with his fingernails, trying to hide the redness in his face. But I know it's there.

"Really?" I say, looking up at him with hope. He nods slowly. "It's a good thing my best friend Dylan told me to walk over to you. Otherwise we never would have met," I explain.

Speaking of Dylan... Where is he? I scan the room, but he's no where. Feeling bad for leaving him alone, I nervously start pulling a loose thread on my shirt.

"Are you okay?" Gavin smiles sincerely and wraps an arm around my shoulder.

"It's just... I just realized I ditched Dylan. But don't worry, he probably just went home because of some school work he has to do," I say, more to reassure myself than to reassure Gavin.

A sudden text from Ava startles me.

Come home quick, it reads.

I smile up at Gavin. "I'm really sorry, but I have to get home. It's been great meeting you. Let's do this again sometime?" I say, anxious to see what's wrong with Ava. But on the other hand, I really want to spend more time with Gavin. Sisters before misters, I guess? Chicks before dicks? Dolls before balls? Hoe tribulation before spermy ejaculation?

What the fuck am I doing?

"Already?" Gavin jokingly pouts, then laughs lightly.

"I'm sorry. See you soon?" I begin to walk backwards to the door, so his friendly face is the last thing I see as I leave the coffee shop.

Once I've reached a fair distance from Starbucks, I begin to walk at a faster pace, in a hurry to reach the apartment I share with Ava. My quick walk becomes a worried run as I near our street, leaving me breathless when I reach the door.

Shoving my keys into the lock, the door bursts open revealing the entrance hallway to our two floor condo.

"Ava? Ava, I'm here!" I shout up the stairs.