prologue

"You know, it's not exactly safe to be out here on your own

"You know, it's not exactly safe to be out here on your own." Stevie spoke as she sat down next to the stranger on the bridge.

Stevie had just gotten to Mystic Falls as a favour to an old friend but also because the Mikaelson's were family to her. For some unknown reason, she left the house and just started walking. At some point, she ended up at a bridge.

"Who are you?"

"Stephanie Williams but you can call me Stevie. And you are?"

"I'm Jeremy Gilbert. Aren't you the Mikaelson Witch?" He had head rumours that they had called in a witch but with Stevie sat in front of him, she wasn't much a threat. Besides, he knew, she was so much more to him.

Stevie laughed softly, "That I am. I know you're not exactly a fan of the Mikaelson's but they are family to me. Besides, I've been told about everything that's been going on and your friends aren't exactly innocent, including your sister. Can you really tell me your friends aren't as bad?"

Jeremy sighed, "I can't argue with you there. But why are you telling me this? We don't even know each other."

"Because you deserve better. Because you deserve someone that will put you first. Because you deserve someone that will take your feelings into consideration. Because you deserve someone that actually cares if something happens to you. You, Jeremy, deserve so much better and I'll be damned if I let anything happen to you." Stevie vowed.

"Why? Why am I so important?"

"You have a beautiful soul, Gilbert. A soul that deserves to be preserved and protected. And trust me, when I tell you I'll do everything I can to make sure no one taints you, including your sister."

"I'm holding you to that, Williams."

"You're in for one hell of a ride, Gilbert."