Breaking the Habit

Authors Note: Hello!  I really hope that you guys are enjoying this story as much as I have writing it!  I wanted to let you guys know that I appreciate all of your encouraging comments and that I'm going to try updating more often.  BTW, this is probably my favorite chapter that I've written so far, so o hope you guys like it and please let me know if you liked it or if I could have done something better! <3

Selina

She went where she always did whenever things seemed overwhelming. The roof.

Seeing Tabitha and Alfred so worried for her safety had made her heart squeeze. But it was no where near the overwhelming fear for what was to come. She was able to get giving-up-Bruce off the table, but there was still the whole getting electrocuted thing. She wasn't sure how long she would be able to hold out, although she knew she had to try. If someone told me three years ago that I would willingly do this, I might've died from laughter.

And yet here I am. Selina thought as she looked out over the city. Damn, what a pair. Gotham and longtime resident, Selina Kyle, at their lowest points, crumbling before the eyes of everyone they ever cared about.

The door behind her cranked open, she twisted around to find Bruce. She turned back toward the city, refusing to look into his eyes because she knew what she would find there.

"Selina," he half-whispered, his voice barely carrying to her ears through the wind.

"It's okay, Bruce. Everything's going to work out."

"Selina, when's the last time that line worked on either of us? We both know that's a lie."

"Fair enough," Selina sighed.

"I do have one question, though," She felt Bruce stiffen as he began to ask, "Why did you do it?"

"It was the best option-"

"You could die, Selina," Bruce was trying to hold back his overprotective side, but Selina knew him well enough to feel it reverberate in each word he spoke.

"You mean you're the only one who gets to sacrifice yourself for the greater good?" The hostility in her voice was a facade, she was just trying to avoid the conversation.

"That's not what I meant. I just meant that I don't want you to get hurt. Please," Bruce pleaded with her.

"We've all gotten hurt, Bruce. Tabitha lost the love of her life. Both of us know the weight of everything Alfred has gone through. Only Christ knows how much Jim has lost. Pain is the cost of living," Selina paused to turn towards him again before adding, "Everyone here, they're here because they lost something. They're here because they are brave enough to fight to get it back. How could I live with them, with myself, if I was a coward and let that lunatic take you? I hope you understand, but whether or not you do, you have to realize that this is my decision. No one else's."

"Okay," Bruce exhaled.  That was easy.  Too easy, she thought before he added, "Just promise me one thing.  Promise me that if it becomes too much to bear, you'll let us help you."

Selina nodded.  She sensed his body relax and heard his feet carry him over to her side. She jumped up to sit on the side of the roof and draped her legs so they faced the door. As much as Selina was trying to hold it together, everything hurt.