Chapter 1 - Lanie...

(Kyson's POV)

I hadn't slept since Keema called me, her words echoed in my head over and over again. I didn't know what to do, what to say, or how to act.

I can't imagine a life without my dad. And I know that we may have had our differences in the past, but we are working on gaining a better relationship. Just like I did with my mom.

My mom.

I swear, I wouldn't be where I'm at if it wasn't for her. She has been the wind beneath my wings and I appreciate her everyday.

She had forgiven my dad for what he did and what he put her through a long time ago. And she understood why I was so upset with him for so long. It was fresh to me. I just found out, while she had many, many years to adjust and make peace with it.

I was older now, and more mature when it comes to certain things, more level headed. Lyle has kept me honest and humble, my best friend is more than I can ask for.

"Hold my hand, baby." Sophia walked beside me, grabbing my hand. "I'm right here with you."

I kissed the back of her hand with a small smile. I didn't want to be mean to her or push her away, but I didn't really feel like being touched or talked to, I just want to see my dad. "Thanks, babe."

Lyle walked on the other side of me, he knows me well enough to know that I don't want to be bothered when I'm in this specific mood. I tend to keep to myself and speak to know one until I know that everything is going to be okay.

We rushed through the airport, my flight had just landed and I was on edge. I haven't been on edge like this since I testified in Kaiser's and Tyler's case. They ended up trying them together because they committed crimes together.

***

(Flashback to Three Years Ago)

"I call Kyson Blackstone to the stand." My lawyer, Stephanie, spoke up. She was actually Scarlett and I's lawyer. I wanted to make sure that Scar was represented in the best way. She deserves the best defense after what happened to her.

She was still pretty fresh in my mind, and I was hurting for her. I wanted her back, but she made sure to tell our lawyer that she wanted separate testimony days.

I just wanted to see her, just for a second.

I walked up to the stand, the court room was so quiet that you could hear a pen drop. I adjusted the black tie around my neck as it felt tighter than it was just a second ago.

I walked up to the witness stand as the court registrar held out a dark, navy blue Bible. "Kyson Carter Blackstone, do you swear that the evidence that you shall give, shall be the truth, the whole truth, and nothing, but the truth so help you God?"

"I solemnly affirm that the evidence that I shall give, shall be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth." I swore, undoing the buttons on my suit jacket, I took a seat in the chair.

My hands slick with sweat as I wiped them on my suit pants. I didn't want to be here today, I didn't want to be here at all, but I had to do this for Scarlett, she needs me. She needs me to help her put away this monster.

Looking around the court room, my eyes landed on Tyler and Kaiser with so much hate, mostly towards Tyler. He hurt Scarlett and made me lose her all in one day.