Prologue

• Dedicated to All the Readers of Drop Dead Gorgeous

»I've spent years trying to find something that would wake me up...

I then realized I was searching for myself.

I was right there,

A moment away – all this time.

It took one breath to discover that everything I've ever wanted

was already here and that the hand I so desperately

Longed to hold –  Was in fact  My own.«

Anita Krizzan

PROLOGUE

A knock on the door echoed through the empty apartment, startling the girl who was siting at the table. She placed the pencil she held in her hands on the top of the blue notebook, and slowly walked across the living room. Silent footsteps cut through the atmosphere like razor blades.

She caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror that hung in the hallway, quickly tucking a few of escaped hair-locks back into the french braid. She opened the door, carefully examining the person standing in front of them.

»Hi.« He said. Windows behind him reflected the light from the setting sun, mimicking the colours of the soon coming Fall. Brightness flooded his face, escaping into his dark eyes, which absorbed her presence with interest.

Her fingers curled around the door-handle, at the sudden feeling of familiarity. She had seen those eyes before.

»Hello.« She greeted the tall guy with a hint of cautiousness in her voice.

The stranger curved his lips into a faint smile. »I'm looking for,« He read from a piece of paper. »92 Birch Street

»This is it.« She replied almost too quiet.

»Right,« He cleared his throat. »is Lucas Dashwood staying here?«

»Yes, he lives here.« Answered the girl with a petite figure. »But he's at work at the moment.«

»Oh.« The man ruffled his hair, the colour of which reminded her of ravens.

They stood there in silence for a moment, girl gripping the door almost too tight, ready to escape back into the emptiness of her home.

»Would you like to leave a note or something?« She finally said.

»Um, no,« He crumpled the tiny piece of paper. »it's kind of; a delicate matter.«

Unexpected intrigue shot through her mind. »Well, if it helps, you can tell me, I'm his girlfriend.«

He watched her with apprehension. The young girl seemed harmless, but he was wrong before. The information he held was delicate, but probably not a secret anymore. »His father was murdered.« Words pierced the deafness.

Her lips parted in surprise. »We, I mean he knows. It happened over a year ago.«

They were expecting a police officer showing up at their door with the name of the murderer one day, but somehow he didn't seem like a man of the law.

»I'm sorry but, who are you exactly?« She asked.

He placed one of the hands on the back of his neck, and furrowed a brow as he looked at her. »I'm his brother, Dorian.«

Author's note: Please, 'like' my FB page for awesome writing competitions and wonderful prizes! https://www.facebook.com/KatRuby92/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel