Miške

5. ~Miške~

A conversation about the possible killers and their motives dragged out until late afternoon. Dorian and Skye munched on mouthwatering chocolate chip cookies and green tea. They spoke of all possible suspects but one; Lucas.

Skye wasn't sure if Dorian was aware of it or not, but Lucas was one of the first suspects the police had. She remembered the day when the police questioned them pretty well. The look on old detective's face never left her mind, the look he motioned at Lucas when he displayed hardly any emotion at the news of his dad's passing. She knew that not displaying your emotions, playing the 'human' game, made others wary around you. And she knew that keeping those feelings bottled up will bite Lucas in the ass one day.

Detectives muttered the same questions over and over again, as if it were a prayer.

Where were you on that day?

What were you doing at that hour?

Did you have any arguments with the deceased?

Can anyone confirm your alibi?

They asked Skye about Lucas's fights with his dad, if the 'temper' ran in the family...Of course she got upset, demanding to know what exactly were they implying, and the detective bluntly asked if Lucas ever lost his temper around her, hit her? She recalled that moment the most of all, the scent of old man sweat, yellow teeth of that detective revealing his smoking addiction, trying to place her lover in the same box with the monster that called himself a father...Skye couldn't help but to get a bit teary of that ugly suggestion. She snapped at the detective, fiercely accusing him of being a bastard with cotton candy for a brain.

Lucas was asked the same questions, having the same answers as Skye, only he was way less bothered by detective's accusations than her. For a change, he was the quiet one. He was bothered by his dad's death, even if he had no intention of showing it. The one thing he could never understand was, how could his mom love a monster like him? But than again, he wasn't a monster a long time ago...Once upon a time. He might shed a tear for those moments, but he refused to indulge in any more pain caused by that man. No more.

Skye and Lucas were eachother's alibi. Mr. Dashwood was murdered around 2AM on a Saturday, a night which they quietly slept through. Old detective was of course unsatisfied by that statement, but it was the truth, and it was all he got.

She dwelled on telling or not telling that to Dorian. Skye thought about it long enough for it to be decided for her – Lucas finished his work, coming home early.

Like always he placed that black leather jacket on the coat hanger in the hall, and came into the kitchen, only to find a bunch of papers lying around. »What the fuck is this?« His voice became two shades darker as he picked up one of the documents.

»Oh,« Dorian quickly stood up. »it's nothing, I was just showing Skye –«

»I thought I told you to leave it alone.« Lucas interrupted him.

»I know, and I am sorry, but if you would just take a look –«

»Get out.« He closed his eyes, grimacing his face in rage.

»I didn't mean to be disrespectful...« Dorian started piling the papers, shoving them in his bag.

»Get out!« A yell of pain escaped Lucas's throat.

»Lucas!« Skye intervened. »It was just a conversation, you actually might wanna hear about this stuff.«

»You too?« His voice now almost cracked with a sense of betrayal, disappointment.