14

tyler's point of view

working on the farm has become more manageable than i thought it would be. it's hard work, there's no denying that. but having josh around helps.

at the moment, i'm laying in bed, trying to sleep. it's probably past two am, but something is keeping me awake. i find myself wondering if josh is awake as well, so i knock quietly on the wall that connects our rooms.

he knocks back a few seconds later so i stand up and tip toe to his room. i open the door slowly, not bothering to knock.

bad idea.

he's shirtless in his bed, which sends my teenage brain into a spiral of inappropriate thoughts.

my cheeks burn, but he seems unaffected. "um, hi."

"hey," he answers in a whisper and smiles a little. "you alright?"

"yeah." i step further into the room and wring my hands together. "just couldn't sleep."

"yeah, me neither," he nods and stands up. "you wanna do something?"

"what did you have in mind?" i wipe my palms, which are slightly sweaty, on my pajama pants and he stretches his arms above his head. i watch the way his torso moves when he does so, but i look down at my socks as soon as i notice that i'm staring.

"uncle scott and i built a treehouse when i was younger. sometimes i ride one of the horses down there and just chill when i can't sleep. i could show you." he's already opening his drawers while he talks, pulling out a t-shirt and then slipping it on.

i agree and we walk downstairs together in a comfortable silence.

he leads me to the horses and pauses outside the stable. "have you ever ridden a horse?"

"at a friend's birthday party once." i feel stupid that i'm working on a farm and i have no experience other than what i've learned here.

"well, now's not the time to learn. you can ride with me." he opens the door and then lets one of the horses out of its stall. i can't remember its name at the moment, but it seems calm enough that i'm not nervous. i trust josh. "here, let me help you," he gets the saddle and everything ready and then holds my hand to help me up. he gets on in front of me and then leads the horse out.

i rest my hands on my thighs and watch the surroundings pass as we ride. after a couple minutes, i see the treehouse and smile to myself at the thought of a young joshua playing in it.

"here we are." he gets off the horse and then helps me off before tying the horse to a tree. "come on up." he climbs up the ladder and i follow suit.

he sits with his back against one of the walls and i sit next to him. "this is nice."

"you're nice," he replies, taking my hand in his.

"thanks." i squeeze his hand lightly and smile a little.

he reaches over and pulls the string on a lamp, which lets off a dim, yellow light. "i didn't think it would still work."

we just talk after that, about everything and nothing. at one point, the conversation pauses and we're just sitting next to each other.

he's looking at me with an expression i'm not sure of. "hey, tyler?" he says my name quietly and somewhat hesitantly.

"yeah?"

"can i kiss you?" he seems to hold his breath after that, probably bracing himself for rejection, which is obviously unnecessary.

"yes."

and he does.

he leans his head forward slowly and i meet him halfway, our lips touching softly. it's warm and soft and my heart races in my chest. he moves his lips carefully and i kiss him back, my mind racing but void of everything except this moment at the same time.

when he pulls away, i pull my bottom lip between my teeth, not wanting the feeling to go away.

"thank you," he whispers, a little breathless.

"what are you thanking me for, dork?" i giggle quietly even though no one is around, my cheeks still tinted pink.

"letting me kiss you i guess," he laughs a little at himself now and then takes my hand in his and squeezes it. "are you ready to go back to the house?"

the real answer is no. i want to stay in this treehouse, in this moment with him forever. but that's obviously not how i answer.

"yeah, i guess so."

on the ride back, i wrap my hands around his waist cautiously, letting my head rest on his shoulder.

i feel my eyelids growing heavier and i know i'll pass out as soon as we get back.

he holds my hand when we walk back to the house and he doesn't let go until we stop outside my bedroom door.

"goodnight, josh." i lean forwards and kiss him once before walking into my bedroom and closing the door. i smile so wide my cheeks hurt and flop onto my bed.

i fall asleep not long after that, a smile glued to my face.

(an: its been awhile!! how are you? i know the holiday season is hard sometimes so please stay safe! i love you all, and don't hesitate to dm me if you ever want or need to talk. )