30

The elevator ride seemed to go a lot slower than Tony had wanted it to. With every second that went by he felt more guilty and upset. Not only did he feel bad for (Y/n), all he wanted from you in return for all he had given you was trust. But he felt as if you didn't, instead, you had to hide all of this.

When the elevator door opened, he walked out into the basement corridor alone. The guards had asked if he needed to be accompanied but he wished to visit alone, this way he could truly express how he felt to (Y/n). Only alone would they be able to fully speak their mind, he wished to know everything that was going on. After meeting the fairy girl he had instantly taken a liking to her, feeling protective of her like a father would feel for his daughter. Since (Y/n)'s father wasn't the best male figures, he decided to step up and show her how caring he could be. He had done the same for the young boy Peter after his uncle passed away and he was only left with his aunt, he needed someone to look out for him. Tony felt like he was doing the same for (Y/n).

The Ironman nodded to the guard who stood next to the control panel and watched as the vault door opened painfully slow. This excess time wasted was unnecessary, all he wanted was to speak to (Y/n). Yet this normally short journey to the basement felt as if it had been ongoing for hours.

He entered the vault, his eyes drifting around the large concrete room. In the centre there was only one cell, the second had no need for walls now and left only the clutter of books and the occasional piece of furniture. Laying in the single cell, hiding beneath the blanket of the bed, was (Y/n). She was wrapped up with only her face visible, tears dripping off onto the mattress. It was obvious that she knew of his presence, the vault door was nothing close to being subtle.

The thing was that you were afraid of what was going to happen after this talk. Were you going to be thrown out onto the streets again? So much had happened since you got here and you treasured all of the Avengers since they had shown you such kindness. After seeing Natasha's reaction, you felt as if all of this had been faked. Was Tony being as genuinely caring as you felt he was? Was Bruce really the sweetheart he acted as? Was Thor still the supportive yet slightly annoying Asgardian you had believed him to be?

This was why you had been crying, not for the loss of Loki at the moment. Loki meant so much to you and at this point, you felt abandoned when you thought about him. In your mind, he had already been pushed aside, only slipping back in when you let your guard down. Right now you were focussed on those who you cared about like family, the Avengers who had allowed you to change your ways and become one of them. They had done so much for you and you loved and appreciated all of them, now these feelings were useless. You felt like you were loving a brick wall, an inanimate object which couldn't reciprocate your feelings.

Tony cleared his throat before taking a seat at the end of your bed. Knowing that he was there, you sat up but kept the blanket draped over your shoulders. It was your only form of comfort at the moment. Wiping your eyes with its corner, you turned your full attention to the Ironman, not letting your face show a drop of how you were feeling. This didn't really work since the red and puffy skin around your eyes and tear-stained cheeks gave away the pain and sadness that you felt. Tony swallowed hard, hating to see you like this. The only other time he had seen you in such a vulnerable state was when you had your falling out with Sam. Overall, he hated seeing such a strong and beautiful woman look so weak and frail.

"(Y/n)," he calls softly. You now felt brave enough to look up into his eyes but this didn't help your fragile state. With one glance into his eyes, memories rushed back, reminding you of everything Tony had done for you. Not only did you feel afraid to lose so much but also upset with yourself, you should've come forward and told him about you and Loki as well as the baby. You trusted him and you knew he was hurt that you withheld something so important.