Chapter 9. True Feelings

Ch. 9  

Enyala’s POV  

I awoke to the sensation of gentle sunlight beating down softly on my face. I smiled and reveled in the warmth for a few minutes until I could muster up enough will power to open my eyes. It was beautiful outside. I could see birds chattering and flapping about, and a few squirrels chasing each other. I yawned and rolled out of bed. There was a pile of clean clothes on the desk next to me, with a note on top. It read:  

I thought you might need some clothes more suitable to riding and fighting and whatnot. I managed to get tunics, leggings, and even a pair of pants if you want them. There is also a plain dress on the bottom, if you would feel more comfortable. Next to the clothes, there is a glass bottle of medicine that you can put on your wound to help it heal faster. I’ll see you at breakfast.  

Legolas 

I smiled to myself as I read the note. He was really very thoughtful. I grimaced as I spread the liquidy paste on the cut, but after the first sting, it seemed to numb it. I bandaged it with some clean rags and donned a fresh tunic and leggings, then quickly brushed my hair. I splashed some cold water on my face from a bowl to the side of the bed, and feeling much refreshed, I strode out into the hall. Legolas, Gimli, Aragorn, the two Hobbits, and Gandalf were already eating. I sat down next to Legolas.

“Thanks for the clothes.” I said

“No problem.” He replied, shooting me a smile. I took a plate and grabbed some bread and fruit. The bread was warm and fresh, and very good. The apples were ripe and crisp, and the oranges tangy and sour. All in all, it was a very good breakfast. We spent the rest of the day at Edoras. Gandalf decided we would leave in the morning. To be honest, I was getting rather bored. The day passed slowly, but pass it did. We went to bed early, as we would be rising early and riding late. I awoke sometime near the morning, though it looked like the middle of the night. I tried to close my eyes, but something kept me awake. I groggily stood up and wandered outside, to the steps just outside of the Golden Hall. I was surprised to see Legolas and Aragorn there. It was cold, but neither of them seemed to notice. I walked over to them, gazing out over Edoras, into the looming mountains beyond.

“The stars are veiled, something stirs in the east… A sleepless malice.” Legolas said. I shivered at his words. We looked at each other, realization in our faces. We rushed back into their room (where everyone else was sleeping. I got my own room), but we were too late.

“Pippin!” Merry yelled as the little hobbit convulsed upon the ground. I rushed over and pried the Palantir out of his grip. I dropped it with a yell as an evil, dark presence stabbed at my mind. By this time, Gandalf had awoken. He ran over to the glass ball and threw a blanket over it.

“Fool of a Took!” he shouted, rushing over to his side. The little man was trembling.

“G-Gandalf.” he stuttered. “F-forgive me.”

“Look at me!” Gandalf growled. “What did you see?” “A tree…” Pippin muttered, terror in his eyes. “A white tree… In a courtyard of stone. It was dead.” Gandalf’s eyebrows drew close together, as if he were deep in thought. “T-the city was burning…”

“Minas Tirith? Is that what you saw???” Gandalf questioned.

“I-I saw… I saw him…” he said in a terrified whisper. “I could hear his voice in my head.”

“And what did you tell him? Speak!” Gandalf almost yelled.

“He asked me my name… I didn’t answer. He hurt me…”

“What did you tell him of Frodo and the Ring?” The hobbit closed his eyes and shivered, but was silent.  

“There was no lie in Pippin’s eyes; a fool, but an honest fool he remains. He told Sauron nothing of Frodo and the Ring.” Gandalf explained to Theoden. “We’ve been strangely fortunate. What Pippin saw in the Palantir was a glimpse of our enemy’s plan. Sauron moves to strike the city of Minas Tirith. His defeat at Helm’s Deep showed our enemy one thing.” Gandalf turned towards Aragorn. “The heir of Elendil has come forth. Men are not as weak as he supposed. There is courage still-strength enough left to challenge him.” Theoden listened intently. “Sauron fears this he will not risk the peoples of Middle Earth uniting under one banner. He will raze Minas Tirith to the ground before he sees the return of the King. If the beacons of Gondor are lit, Rohan must be ready for war!"