Chapter 17. Exploring

I know it's short! Please don't kill me! I had some writers block, but I thought it would be better if I gave you something rather than nothing. I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season!

Legolas' POV

My dreams were sweet, and when I awoke, I found that reality was just as much so. I was home. Home. When I had left, I was eager for adventure, true, but I had missed this. The forest, the dancing, the food, the companionship. It was an easy life, except for the spiders, and I loved it almost as much as I loved traveling and exploring. Anyway, reality was wonderful. I was at home, with Enyala, and my father liked her. Everything was good. A slightly troubling thought came to mind when I remembered when my father would  be leaving, and what Faradrim had said about my father being there for the wedding. I loved Enyala with all my heart, and I wanted nothing more to propose, but I wanted, I needed everything to be absolutely perfect. Where could I take her? I pushed the thought to the back of my mind. I would think about it later.

"Morning." I whispered as Enyala stirred.

"Morning." she mumbled back, smiling. My lips pulled up into an involuntary grin as she smiled up at me. She leapt up energetically and asked, “So where are we gonna go first?”

“Well,” I started, rising from the bed, “I was thinking we could wander a bit. We won’t get lost. I know this place by heart.”

“That sounds good.”

We dressed, ate, and wandered around, Enyala leading. Every so often I would give some detail on a particular piece of art. At around four in the afternoon, we got to the fun part. We came across one of the many statues scattered about the place.

“Watch.” I murmured, motioning to the cloaked figure. I stood in front of it and said, “Edro. ‘Open.’” The statue slid aside to reveal a tunnel. “Cave systems.” I explained. “Their everywhere. We built around the passages, and we just couldn’t resist the secret tunnels.” Enyala laughed. My heart lifted at the sound. I led her into the tunnel and down the glistening paths. A minute later, we came out down one of the side tunnels.

“Where are we?” Enyala asked curiously. 

“The workshops.” I answered. “Our craftsmen make everything here. I thought you might want to look around.” She grinned and ran off.

“Feredir.” I whispered. The jeweler turned his head. “Do you have any rings?”

He grinned, handing me a small box. “I have the perfect one. Good luck.”

I let out a small sigh of relief. “Thanks.” I said, pocketing the box. Feredir and I hadn’t been close friends, but we were friends nonetheless. A minute later Enyala came skipping back to me. 

“It’s absolutely beautiful here.” she said happily.

“Yes.” I agreed. “It is.” Then, a moment later, “Do you want to see something even more beautiful?”

“Yes.” she grinned. I smiled back and led her back into the caves. The tunnels began to twist and turn more, and often we had to slip through cracks only a foot and a half wide. Eventually, though, we got to the end. I pushed open the wooden covering that was used as a door, and helped her out. “My god.” she breathed, her eyes scanning the surrounding area, “It’s gorgeous.” I couldn’t agree more. It was always my favorite place to come, and most of the elves didn’t even know it existed. They weren’t much for exploring caves. There was a lake, about twenty feet down, thirty feet or so in diameter. Two thirds of the bank was just a sheer rock wall, straight up, of shiny obsidian. The other third extended out, a small grassy patch with a few trees dotted around. There was a cave entrance at the wall behind the trees, only a few feet wide, but big enough for someone to crawl through. 

We sat on a small bench on the ledge we were situated on as the sun began to set. The light glanced off the obsidian, almost reflectively, giving the impression that the walls were made of fire. It was beautiful. I felt that now was the time. Swallowing down my nervousness, I knelt down on one knee and took out the box, my gaze never wavering from her eyes. 

“Enyala.” I said in a voice much more confident than I felt. “Melin le na phân gûr nîn. I love you with all my heart. No herves nîn? Will you be my wife?” 

With tears in her eyes and a look of complete happiness in her eyes, in a soft, loving voice, she said “Tancavë, Legolas. Yes, Legolas.”