Chapter Nine.

That night the whole family gathered in the parlor and were talking about fun times, experiences and ofcourse the bad days. Farooq nowhere to be found. He locked himself up in his room the moment we got back. Came out to pray magrib. The cunning guy used the back door, in a bit to avoid every one. The weather took another turn this night and everywhere was cold. I decided to make hot tea.

I was waiting for the water in the electric jug to boil when I heard Alhaji's voice.

"where is that boy? Why does he keep excluding himself from family time. It is important to know your family better. I thought when he was little, it had been a phase, and that he would outgrow it. But it seems, he's very comfortable being by himself"

I did not hear a reply from Hajiya. It's either she's got nothing to say to him or she just doesn't care. I heard Saratu say something but I couldn't comprehend because of the clanging of the utensils I was using to make tea.

"I don't have time for his childishness.  He will be 20 soon, the earlier he stops behaving like a child, the better for him" Alhaji Baqi said.
I made my presence known by a small greeting. After handing the tea cups to their respective owners, I dropped the tray on the centre table knowing they would all drop their empty cups in it.
I decided to go to my room, not wanting to feel like an intruder. As I slowly stepped away from the parlor, grinning in my head about successfully making an exit without being noticed.

"Going to bed Yasmin? Can Farooq on your way" Alhaji Baqi said.
I froze for some seconds before dreadfully dragging my legs to my his room. Must i always be in the middle of Farooq's drama? I really don't want to go close to him. He's so intimidating. He's bossy and very rude and outstandingly handsome.

Wait a minute! Why is Farooq handsome to me?

I shrugged off that statement before knocking on his door. So i knocked again, and again and again. I kept praying he's asleep. He makes my insides coil with anticipation and want.

"Y..your room is t... that way" Farooq stated startling me from behind. My mouth clamped itself shut. I had to clear my throat. He stood there watching me like some alien. 

"First of all, I wouldn't knock to enter my own room. Secondly, Baba said to call you" I relayed with a plastic smile. I saw him roll his eyes.

"Tell....h... him I'm s.....sleeping and i didn't o... open the d....door" he replied shoving me aside, making attempts to open his door.
"I will not do that. I'll tell him you said i should say all this" I replied angrily.

It's one thing to cover up and another to lie. I will not take part in this drama. I'll simply convey the message and go to bed. I don't even know where all my courage is coming from. I felt the need to keep talking. Hoping he might listen to me.

"He's your father for God sake. Will it kill you to obey him without irritating him. You're always pushing everyone away. What is wrong with_"

He grabbed my arms squeezing it. I yelped as he squeezed tighter making it more painful. His veins popping. He looked mad. I guess even saratu will not talk to him that way. His face inches away from mine. For some reason I wanted him to bring his face closer to mine, to kiss me. I had the strong urge to feel his lips on mine. I wasn't comprehending anything he was saying. He was definitely spewing threats but I wanted him to come closer to me. His cologne piercing my nostrils. I inhaled deeply as I stared at his mouth moving not comprehending a word.

"Leave her alone farooq. What is wrong with you. Is that how to treat a lady. I'm disappointed in you" Hajiya Asiya exclaimed whisper yelling, maybe she saw this coming, that's why she came looking for us herself.