Chapter Eight.

Ya Abdullah and Ya Abdulhafiz beamed at Farooq. They all moved closer to him, trying to access him. It's obvious they haven't seen him in a while. Hajiya explained their dorms were different as a result of their courses. She went as far as asking me not to cross paths with Farooq because he's the crankiest of all. I still thank her for that advice because I've never crossed paths with him, without him giving me a disapproving once over. It's like my presence itself annoys him.

"When did you get back home?" Ya Abdullah asked after shaking hands with him. I don't know why I was checking him out. He was wearing a black ripped jean and a black T-shirt. I would disapprove that dress sense when I see anyone wearing it, But Farooq pulled it off. His jaw tightened when he noticed I was shamelessly ogling him. He frowned and walked away. Not bothering to answer his brothers. Thankfully he had been the only one who saw me outrightly staring at him. I would have buried myself alive had it been any of the boys.

Everyone sighed, while I quickly got back to dicing the watermelon. I concentrated so hard in doing it, scared they might realize I irritated him away.
"Mama when will he stop behaving this way? It's really hard reaching out to him. He's blocked us all up. You can never concoct what's in his head. He would never visit our dorms, even after begging him a million times. When he sees us at school, he would either change routes or say a few words to us before vanishing like a shadow. I can fully say, he's ashamed of being called our brother" Ya Abdulhafiz stated popping a diced watermelon in his mouth.

I was cleaning up the kitchen island at this point. I have layered the fruits on each other in a large bowl and had taken it to the fridge. By the time we are leaving for the girls school, it would be chilly, if not frozen.

"Give him time. He's just not used to you guys. He talks to me and I didn't force him to. He's quite a talkative you know. Just give him time" Hajiya Asiya defended as she stires the stew slowly. I for one, has taken a notice of how Hajiya has weak spot for Farooq. She's always out to defend him. I've never heard her reprimanding him. It's always laughter with both of them.  The first time I saw him laughing, I felt goose bumps travel my whole body. He had these amazing dimples which I noticed is prominent in the Baqi family. He was telling her about some experience he's had. I should have stayed by the door and watch, but something pushed me into going in there to ask for the location of some seasoning cubes. His beautiful grin vanished immediately. He just stared at me with those cold grey eyes.

"19 years is enough for anyone to open up. It's enough for anyone to realize who actually loves him" was the last thing I heard. I h zoned out of their conversations with the thoughts of Farooq. Abdullahi walked out of the kitchen with his brother in suit. 
I saw Hajiya Asiya's shoulders slump in defeat. I realized she was deeply troubled by his attitude too. On bringing out food flasks to dish out the food, I heard Saratu's voice. I smiled happily. I don't know why I miss her. A few days I've spent with her around the house was divine. I've always wanted a sister.

"Assalamu Alaikum,  a very Good afternoon to you Baba. Hope you've been fine. I bought you popcorn" I heard saratu say cheekily. I heard Alhaji thanking his daughter. The perks of having a female child. They always think of their parents first. This goons came and chewed half the fruits I diced instead.

I heard her footsteps approaching the kitchen. "Yasi!!! How are you? Hope mama is not stressing the life out of you?" she said hugging me slightly before turning her attention to her mother. I could not reply because of how quickly she started talking again.

"My sweet Mama. How are you?" she said hugging Hajiya tightly.

"First of all, I'm not stressing her, secondly I'm okay. How are you my dear?" Hajiya asked drying the food flasks, I had just rinsed.