Chapter Seven.

I sprawled and purred like a cat as I cuddled the soft pillow tightly. The soft bed is nothing like that in Runji which consisted of bamboo sticks they got from God knows where and Ayyah's old clothes serving as our mattresses. I was having a nice dream which consisted of Ayyah, Ya Haidar and I in a very colorful place. Sweet air fresheners filled my nostrils making me inhale deeper as I snuggled my pillow tightly. Out of nowhere, an incessant annoying knock filled my dream. No matter how hard I tried to stay in my dream remained fruitless because I started hearing my name being called. Knowing I had to wake up, I opened my eyes as slowly as I could, anger coercing my thoughts. I kept wondering why our bed felt so soft, forgetting I had left home far away.

"Yasmin! Yasmin!" I heard a voice call as the soft knock continued. I grumbled and groaned frustratingly before leaving the bed to go open the door. Realization dawned on me the very moment I touched the door knob. I wasn't at home! I quickly opened the door.

"Good morning Hajiya" I had greeted quickly, squatting down, that's how I was taught to greet my elders. Besides, this particular elder is the reason why I slept with no neck cramps today. Being grateful is the least I could do. 

"Morning Yasmin, it's 5:00am already, you need to pray." She replied with a soft smile. I stood up slowly with a smile. Then I watched her retreating. I really should go pray but my body is so tired. I stood there like a statue and fell asleep while standing. Thankfully I didn't fall down; I just needed to close my eyes for a few minutes. I have no idea how long I stood for, but I felt slight pain on my forehead, it was non existent at first, then the pain got intense. I pried my eyes open, just to be greeted by some intense gray eyes and furrowed brows. I yelped and jumped backwards. Embarrassment washed through me and I felt like being buried there and there. It was the fair guy from yesterday, the one that scared the blood out of me, the one who wasn't very keen about me using his toilet. How long had he been standing there watching me make a fool out of myself?

He scrunched his face and pointed at the bathroom. Of Course he's urging me to go wash up and pray. I nodded slowly then headed to the bathroom in shame. I hope I didn't snore and scratch my body in his presence.

"God please don't allow me to disgrace myself again" I prayed.

I walked to the bathroom, I made sure not to enter the one from yesterday to avoid being reprimanded again. I performed ablution, and then walked straight to my room, picked up my new hijab from Mama and the prayer mat that was nicely folded on the side drawer. I prayed to my Allah, prayed he takes care of my mother and her family, prayed he has mercy on our souls and prayed we leave this world at the time he was best pleased with us. In Runji, we go house by house to offer our morning greetings after Subhi prayers. Abbu would always find a way to keep me in his house when we get there. Ayyah mostly prefers going there last. He would engage me in conversations until the sun is out.

I folded my hijab and the prayer mat, and then dropped it on the side drawer as I saw it. I picked up my phone to contact my mother but to no avail. She wasn't picking. After multiple attempts, I've had enough and I was determined to go tell Hajiya Asiya to take me back home. On the last attempt, she picked up. I squealed loudly. 

"Mama! Good morning" 

"Yasmin!" she equally screamed. 

"Mama, I've been calling you. I've been trying to reach you badly.  You promised you'd pick up whenever I call." I said tears welling up my eyes.

"I don't know how to pick it; I had to take it to Haidar to show me how to operate the phone. It's complex, you know. How come you know how to operate?" she asked, laughing happily. 

"Mama, I'm not like you. I learned it when Hajiya was teaching you. Mama, how are you? I've missed you so much. Mama when are you coming to visit me" I complained