Chapter Two

Jack drove to the rest area. They were alone.

He threw the wet blanket in the trunk and took Levi for a short walk while Sue changed pants and looked in both bags for something that would fit the child.

An oversized sweatshirt of Jack's covered her almost to the ankles and a pair of socks would keep her warm until they could find her some clothes.

Jack took advantage of the walk to phone Dimitrius. And when he got back to the car, he grinned as he saw them.

"I knew someone would eventually look good in that sweatshirt," teased Jack. 'Someone hungry?' he signed.

Two blond heads nodded at once.

"But first, Jack, are you going to tell me why we are pretending to be her parents? You cannot possibly think a state trooper has something to do with the murders."

The look on his face told Sue he was considering it. She was standing in front of him, the little girl in her arms.

"Something doesn't add up, and her reaction was too strong," he explained. He'd learned years ago to trust his gut feelings.

The child was staring at him with her big brown eyes. He reached out and stroked her hair, beautiful silky hair just like the woman who held her. He almost expected the child to recoil, instead she smiled.

"Sue, she may be the only person alive who saw her parents' murderer."

"But, Jack, she would be too young to testify."

"I know, but the murderer might still go after her." His hand moved to Sue's shoulder.

She acknowledged the seriousness of the situation as she felt his fingers gently rubbing through her light jacket.

"I don't know who we can trust here, Sue. D is looking into it. In the meantime, we need to keep her safe... and pretending to be her parents was the only way I could think of."

Agreeing with him, she nodded.

"Does she have a name?"

"I am sure she does," Sue replied with a twinkling in her eyes.

He rolled his eyes, sending the little girl giggling. "For both your information, ladies, it wasn't funny." He hugged them as he said it.

To his surprise and pleasure, Sue leaned against his shoulder. That trip was taking an unexpected turn.

***

"Her name starts with J," Sue told him as they approached the first town after their stop.

"Are we playing a guessing game here?" Jack inquired, smiling at them.

Sue began to throw names at him. Joan, Jill, Jasmine, Jodie, Julia, Jenny... Every time, Jack would shake his head. Somehow the name didn't fit the little girl.

"Jackie? Jacklyn?" As Sue tried again, she gauged his reaction. He arched his brow and gave her a quick glance as he entered the town. "If she was your daughter, Jack, would you consider one of those names?"

"No... I would rather name her after her mother... and you would need to go down the alphabet to find her name," he added with a grin as he parked in front of a Wal-Mart leaving Sue wonder. "I will go in and buy Jay some clothes while you will stay in the car with her. What size does she wear?"

"Oh no, Jack. I do the shopping." Sue saw fear in his eyes as he contemplated being left alone with the little girl. "Jack, she doesn't bite. You will be fine." She placed the child on the back seat with Levi and signed for her to play with the doggy. "Just watch her, Jack. I won't be long."