Chapter Twelve

Sue knocked instead of using her key since Lucy wasn't expecting them until tonight.

Lucy gaped as she saw them. She was still in her pyjama, but she didn't care. She was so happy they were back. Lucy hugged Sue and looked at the little girl in Jack's arms.

"Oh my! She is gorgeous, guys," she told them. 'Hello Jay,' Lucy signed.

A smile appeared on Jay's cute little face and she signed 'Hi'.

Lucy tried extending her arms to see if Jay would come see her. Jay did. Lucy pointed to the bear she held and Jay signed 'blue bear'. Lucy smiled at her, nodding.

"Are you staying a little while?"

"Sorry, Luce, not right now," said Sue as she headed toward her room.

"We have lots of errands to run," apologised Jack. "How about we come back for supper and fill you in on everything that happened?"

"About six?" suggested Lucy, who was delighted when Jack agreed. "Perfect. When did you arrive in DC?"

"Yesterday afternoon. There was a house Anne insisted on showing us and we bought it last night. Sue will give you all the details tonight," added Jack who could read so many questions on Lucy's face.

Jay began wiggling and signed 'Down' for Lucy. Jack kept an eye on her as she explored the living room.

"Where did you stay last night?" Lucy knew Jack only had a one-bedroom apartment.

"My place," he answered, thinking nothing of it until he saw Lucy's incredulous expression. "It's not what you think," he quickly added. "But... we are living together," admitted Jack. "Can we keep that between us?"

"It's nobody's business, Jack... not even mine," Lucy reluctantly agreed. "Just tell me I booked your wedding soon enough, didn't I?"

"Yes... you did... though today would have been even better," he said, laughing.

Lucy rolled her eyes to him.

"You did a great job, Luce, and Sue and I are very grateful for everything," he assured her.

"Mama," they heard Jay exclaimed as she ran in the hallway to be caught by Sue.

"We could have supper together," suggested Sue as she joined them. She stared in confusion as they both grinned.

"We are," said Lucy. "I will see you tonight."

As soon as they left, Lucy took the phone and dialled.

***

They went to see Anne and signed the paper. The mortgage was approved, the house was theirs. Anne would give them the keys on Tuesday night.

They selected a white bedroom set for Jay and let her choose her sheets and comforter. She liked the one with blue teddy bears holding pink and yellow balloons. Jack figured it would match either one of the children's bedrooms. As they waited to have the delivery confirmed, Jack strolled in the crib section. He felt little arms hugging his leg and big brown eyes staring at him.

'Baby bed,' she signed. 'Jay no baby.'

He knelt down beside her.

'Jay big girl,' Jack signed back and she nodded. He kissed her little nose and she giggled.

'I love daddy,' her little hands told him.

'Daddy loves you.' He picked her up and hugged her fiercely.

Sue watched the exchange with misty eyes, smiling tenderly at them. She didn't miss the longing in Jack's eyes as his hand brushed the railing, and she found herself rubbing her tummy. She hoped she would carry another child soon.