7 // different.

7 // different

luke seemed like a nice enough guy.

although he constantly spoke of someone he needed to help, he was normal. when calum offered to help him with his problems, he declined, saying something about "fighting his own demons'.

it seemed all too patriotic.

after talking to luke a bit more, they exchanged numbers with promises to talk again.

calum went straight back to mali-koa, and they went home.

he slept like a log.

~

something seemed different about when he returned to school the following day. everyone seemed more cautious around him.

it was a friday, so he was brighter than usual, which meant it took him longer to notice. if he remained idle for too long, someone would tap him on the back and ask him if he felt okay.

he felt fine.

when math rolled around, calum felt excited to see daisy again. but when he arrived, she looked different.

her hair was dyed a dirty blonde colour, instead of the strawberry blonde he had gotten so used to seeing, and she wore a white blouse with light blue ripped jeans. but this wasn't the most prominent feature.

her nails were a pastel pink colour.

my nails suit my mood.

calum stopped walking towards her.

daisy liked someone.

was it him?

calum shook the thoughts from his head. no, that's stupid. fucking hell, calum, you're so stupid.

of course it wasn't him. it couldn't be him. he was a world apart from this girl, the girl that liked daisy chains and the colour black (or so it seemed), the girl who wore Docs religiously and managed to be philosophical without being pretentious at all.

"daisy," calum walked over to her, ready to strike up a conversation, but someone beat him to it, sliding into his chair. it was samuel, the same boy who got him sent to the back, next to daisy in the first place.

"are you two...?" calum pointed at the duo. they looked like a regular preppy couple, from the outside, but on the inside, calum knew daisy was near insane. she was amazing.

daisy didn't meet his eyes, but samuel, with a widespread grin, said, "what if we are? you jealous, hood? that i hit it first?"

'it'? was that how it was for sam? daisy was an object, to be won over? he felt anger boiling inside him. "she. she is not an 'it'."

"she is whatever the fuck i say she is," sam snarled back.

calum slammed his hands on sam's desk and shoved it over, sending sam flying back until he hit the bookcase behind him, his legs sprawled out. daisy stood up immediately, choking out a scream.

leaping forward, calum shoved his knee into sam's stomach, earning a groan from him. then he lifted his fist and sent one blow after the other, until he couldn't see straight and strong arms were grabbing him back, restraining him.

the last thing he remembered clearly was daisy's terrified face before he blacked out again.