Prologue

Edited by BizarreSmalls

Prologue

My name is Thomas, or just Tom for short, Holland. Yes just like the country. To say I'm unexceptional is an understatement. My hair is brown, not auburn brown or sandy brown, just plain old brown. My eyes are a dull, medium blue. My mother tells me they’re bright blue, but I just don't see it. I'm six feet tall with a medium build. I'm not heavily ripped like the alpha's son or the beta and the enforcers.

As a senior in highschool, my grade's have always been average. What sports I do play I'm, you guessed it, average. So average that the best human players get to play before I do. I only play sports to keep my wolf happy. I would rather read or play strategy games on my computer. I'm just your average run of the mill werewolf guy the guy girls don't even take a second glance at.

We can find our mates when we turn sixteen and shift for the first time. If they’re in the same pack, you tend to find them quickly. I didn't, and neither did our future alpha, Marcus. Now we’re both seniors and eighteen, and still no luck.

Marcus is everything I'm not. Go figure right? He's six foot six and built like a pro linebacker. Jet black hair with blue eyes so pale they look silver. All the girls drool over him. Between his looks and status as next alpha, you would think he would be a world class prick, but he's not. Damn it all he's perfect.

I wouldn't exactly call us good friends but we've been in several classes together and work a number labs and projects together, but when I caught a mistake he made on a project that would have got us a fail for the not only the project, but would have flunked him for the semester in the class, he clapped me on the shoulder and said, “Thanks Tom, I owe you one. My father would tan my hide if I'd failed the class.” After that he started going out of his way to include me in what he was doing at school and with the pack.

It was from Marcus that I heard about her for the first time. I walked up behind Marcus and Brian Silverlake. Brian will be Marcus's beta when he takes over. He's six foot three and also built like a pro linebacker. He has the classic nordic features, golden blonde hair with deep blue eye's. Many a heart was crushed when he came home from his pack exchange with his mate.

Her name is Celine, and she is his opposite in many ways. A small, curvy girl at five foot three with a naturally dark complexion. With raven black hair and dancing green eyes, she generally has a gentle and caring nature. So much so that a few of the girls thought they could walk all over her and take her mate. Boy did they get a surprise when she showed her spitfire colors and knocked the crap out of them. After that little dust up, everyone knows not to cross her.

“I hear your sister's back.” Marcus say off handedly to Brian.

“Yes the beloved Belladonna has returned.” Sarcasm plain in his voice.

“Why all the sarcasm Brian?” Marcus asks taking note of Brian's tone.

“She might be my twin but I was not very happy with her behavior when we left after I found Celine.” I can hear a lot left unsaid in that statement.

“She could have changed after you left.” Celine snorts in disgust.

“I doubt that very much. I wouldn't want her with Tom here, “Brian points to me, “let alone you.”

“What are you saying? That Tom's not good enough for your sister?” We can all hear the anger in his voice.

“No Marcus, that isn't what my mate is trying to say. What he's trying to say is our Tom here,” She gently bumps my shoulder with hers, “is too good for her.”

I give Celine a small reserved smile. We both share a quiet reserved nature. Brian didn't even stir when his mate showed me this quiet affection. None of the mated males seemed to have a problem with me being near their mates. I don't know whether to be honored or offended about it.

I will not lie that my heart warms at Marcus defense of me and Celine's kind assertions that I was a good guy, and the fact that Brian nods in agreement with his mate. Only my little sister Rebecca has stood up for me like that before. Brian claps me on the shoulder.

“Ya, Tom here needs someone like my darling Celine, sweet and gentle until it's time to kick some ass. Right dear?” He gives her a warm loving smile. “And that being said, shes taken. So you have to find your own.” He wraps his arms possessively around her.

“If my mate is half the woman she is, then I will be a very lucky man indeed.” I smile and give them a small bow.

“Well do you want to go find her and say hi?” Marcus asks.

“I can't. I’ve got to take Becca to the clinic for her community service that the alpha ordered her to do.”

Rebecca or Becca for short is my fifteen year old sister. She was one of six young pack members that was caught out in the woods drinking. To say the alpha and the elders were pissed is an understatement. When the border guards brought the six drunk teens to the alpha, that was all she wrote for them. The alpha, in a stroke of genius, sent Becca to work in the same clinic that mom works at. There was no worse punishment the alpha could have given her than that.

“Well I’ve got to go. I will see you all later.” I walk off to collect my sister.

If I had only known.