Chapter 15 - Wow.

First of all, this chapter is dedicated to shananay123 for being an awesome fan!

Cheers shananay :p

_________________

****HAZEL'S P.O.V.*****

I saw it before I heard it.

In fact, I didn't hear it at all.

He was turning left onto our street, and surprisingly he wasn't flying along, but was going at a regular speed. I noticed that he had a bouquet of flowers behind him.

That was when it hit.

I saw his bike dragged under the hood of the truck, his leg stuck under the bike. I saw them skid at high speed, in totally the wrong direction.

I saw the carburetor burst, slicing into his skin. I saw his head bang the ground, the projectile known as the truck still barging them along.

I saw his face turn from his biking smile to shock and then terror. I saw the fuel tank that the truck was carrying swivel around, rolling to a stop next to Zac, all the while leaking petrol.

I saw his eyes meet mine, and plead to me, his head spilling blood onto the pavement. He wore no helmet.

I even saw the spark that started the storm.

And you know what was worst of all?

I just stood there and watched.

Stood there, and watched.

I stood and watched as the flames engulfed the street, singing the tips of my hair even from how far away I was.

I stood there and watched his body lying limp on the tarmac, flames licking the air around him.

I stood there and watched the fire give him it's first kiss.

I stood there and watched the red fireball of smoke and heat and death billow into the air around him.

I stood there and watched as his body went limp.

I just stood there. And watched.

______________

Jake was the first to come running out from Zac's backyard. Jake, the ever-faithful friend.

His lips were moving, hands gesturing at me, but no sound came out. The tears rolled down my cheeks as I collapsed onto the floor. Jake was running, sprinting towards the scene of the accident, his body lit in the fierce orange and red glow. He was shirtless; he must have been swimming before the crash.

I saw him run; run like he had never run before.

Without hesitation, he dived into the inferno, flames hissing and spitting all around him.

I could only sit there and cry. That should have been me, running after Zac. That should have been me, screaming his name. Instead, I had simply broken down; I could no longer find the strength to move.

Tonight was going to be our night. The night where I would get what I cherished above all, where Zac and I could finally be together.

Instead, what I cherished above all was lying humiliatingly on the street, and I had done nothing to help him.

Jake emerged, just as the first sirens

pierced the air and jolted me alert. He was dragging a torn and disfigured body out of the flames, the shadows causing an eerie glow on the side of him.

I couldn't bear to look as the paramedics hoisted him into the ambulance.

But I did look.

I just stood there and watched.