Chapter 10 - Quest.

Before going to bed for my afternoon siesta, I tell my mum not to let Jessica in.

"Nothing's wrong mum, it's just I want some time alone today."

"You sure you're alright? You like a bit shaken up dear."

Yep. That's my mum, always knowing when something is amiss. I still feel like I fit under her wing, despite the fact that in reality I tower over her.

"It's fine mum." I confirm, hugging her.

"Alright honey. Just remember you can talk to me if anything is the matter."

"i will mum."

And with that, I collapse onto my bed. Was yesterday a date? I suppose Jessica could have thought so.  It was just the two of us. And she fed me a spoon of cake (that we also happenned to share). And she was clinging onto me more than necessary on the bike. I suppose she could even have seen the sleeping on my shoulder thing as something romantic. The thing was, I didn't. For some reason (pssht I won't say what) I only saw butterflies and speechlessness when I was with Hazel.

Jessica could definitely have interpreted it as a date.

I think too much. It makes my head hurt, all this drama. Maybe if I could just get some sleep, to escape from it all...

Well after all, that's the way I see sleep. It's my escape from reality, from life. One of my old friends used to call it "Death without commitment" and in a way, I'd have to agree with her.

--------------------------

"Jake?" I held the phone to my ear tightly, afraid I'd drop it in my sleepy state.

"Yello!" A cheery, awake voice cried from the other side of the phone. "How's my love struck little friend?"

"I'm not love struck. And I'm just as tall as you."

"Whatever kid. You still got a lot to learn."

"Meet me outside my place in 5 minutes?"

"Sure thing kid."

Uurgh, why did the sun have to be so bright? I opened my curtains, somewhat amazed at how much it hurt my eyes.

I decided to dress modestly today. Same type of t-shirt, with khakhi shorts. After all, it was sunny outside. And instead of my usual converse, I picked a pair of pale blue Toms for men. As well as my watch. I never go anywhere without my watch.

DING-DONG!!

"I'll get it mum!" I shouted, thundering down the stairs.

"But what if it's Jessica?"

Yep, definitely my mum. Always considerate.

"Nah mum it's not Jessica, it's Jake. I'm expecting him." I opened the door to see a beaming Jake.

"Ready for our little shopping spree?"

"You boys are going shopping? I always doubted your sexuality Zac." My mum popped in.

"It's not for us mum, it's for someone else."

"Who? Jessica?"

"No, mum." I sighed. "Not Jessica."

"Hi, you must be Ms. Claxon! I'm Jake!" Yes! Jake picked the perfect moment to save me from my mother's inifnite qustions.

"Hello dearie. You go to school with Zac as well?"

"Yupp. I live a few streets down too." He quipped.

"Alright dearie. You boys have fun." She piped, busying herself with her cooking.