Chapter 12 - Plans & Paradise.

"That one looks like a donkey!" Hazel exclaimed."See, there's its ears, and the nose, and that ridge up there sorta makes its head!"

"Did you know Eeyore the donkey was depressed and on marijuana?"

"Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh? No waay." She argued, tilting her head to face me. "That can't be true."

"Think about it. He didn't care about anything and had super slow reactions. He was depressed because he lost his tail."

"Ohmigosh!!!"

"True right?"

"Nope, I was referring to the way you say 'tail' in your accent." She chimed. "Say it again!"

"Heads."

"What?"

"Heads. Get it? Heads or Tails? You said tails, I said heads?" A low groan escaped from the creature lying across my chest.

"You need to think of better jokes Zac."

"And you need to realise that that cloud looks like you, Hazel." And with that she jumped up.

"Where? I can't see it. Is it that one? I can't possibly be that ugly." She said in a flurry.

"Slow down, it's that one over there," I said, pointing out a funny shaped cloud. "It's the exact same shape your face makes when you sneeze."

"I DO NOT LOOK LIKE THAT!"

"Yeah you do," I insisted, pointing my tongue out at her. "Kinda adorable too..." I mumble.

"What was that?"

"Nothing." If she found out I called her adorable, I'd never have the end of it.

"Thanks!" She grinned cheekily at me.

"Thanks for what?"

"Thanks for calling me adorable! I heard the compliment." She grinned, brushing her hair to one side. "You never showed me what you got me."

Right now she was sprawled across my chest, and we were lying down shapes in the clouds. The sun was out, the air smelt of lilies, and I had everything i could possibly want. I had been in Chicago for a week, and I was loving every minute of it.

"Oh yeah..."

"Come on! What is it? I wanna see!"

"Alright. You know how we live next door to each other?" I pointed out.

"Yeah..."

"Well, I bought us a pair of walkie talkies, just for the two of us to keep in our rooms."

"Ohmygosh! That is such a cool idea! Just for the two of us you said?"

"Yippers."

She threw her arms around me, and we stayed like that for what felt like forever, lying embraced on the grass. Hazel had snuggled her face right into my shoulder, and I had a funny feeling she had fallen asleep. Running my hand across her cheek, I noticed, not for the first time, how beautiful she was. Her smile lit up a room, her laugh had this ring to it that made me well up with glee, and her eyes! Don't even get me started on her eyes. You could look into those eyes and never look anywhere else again.

Was I in love? I had only known Hazel for a week, but already it felt like years. One week though. Is that enough for love?

More importantly, does Hazel love me back? Is Jake right? Or was all this drama over being besties?

I ask too many questions, I decided. Some things are best left unsaid, and unpondered.

"Zac?" I heard a voice emanate from around my shoulder.