Prologue

Prologue

Now, every time
I witness a strong person,
I want to know:
What darkness did
you conquer in your story?
Mountains do not rise
without earthquakes.
--Katherine MacKenett

Prince Eric of Sweden walked into his father's private study. He really didn't want to be there, but he had no choice since his father said it was very important.

"Ah, son, I am glad you could make it on such sort notice. Your mother and I have been talking and well we are very concerned." King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden stated once Eric was sitting.

"Concerned about what?" Eric asked.

"All your siblings have married with children and well you're almost 40 with no wife or children." King Carl XVI Gustaf answered.

"I don't understand why you and mother would be concerned since I'm very happy with the way things are for me." Eric said.

"Eric, as much as I would like to believe that. Your mother and I have decided to give you a push." Carl XVI Gustaf said.

"What kind of push?" Eric asked.

Carl XVI Gustaf cleared his throat, folded his hands, looked Eric straight in the eyes and said, "A marriage push." He replied.

"You have got to be shitting me!" Eric exclaimed.

"I assure you that there is no shitting involved, Eric, we only want what's best for you and at this point your mother doesn't want you to be alone for the rest of your life. We have come up with a plan for you." Carl XVI Gustaf said.

"Lay it on me. Nothing could get worse." Eric said leaning forward in his chair.

"You, Eric, must marry by the time of National Day. You must also stick with the first girl you choose; in other words you may not back out of the marriage clause." Carl XVI Gustaf said.

"WHAT! What if this girl turns out to be some nut case! This is crazy, crazy, CRAZY! What the hell? My life can't get any worse!" Eric said.

While Eric continued his hissy fit Carl XVI Gustaf tried to say, "You also must have a child... ah hell with it! He isn't even listening!" Carl XVI Gustaf said as he just leaned back in his chair to watch Eric rant and rave.

Just as Eric was going to sit down he stubbed his toe on the desk and started screaming, "Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck!"

"Eric, if you are quite done complaining, you have a plane to catch to London. Once there you must choose your future wife." Carl XVI Gustaf explained.

"What's in London?" Eric asked.

"Princess Eugenie's wedding." Carl XVI Gustaf answered.

"Fine, I'll go but you and mother will regret this." Eric said as he stormed out of the study.

When he reached the main floor he was ushered into a limo and was taken to the airport.