Prince Eric, Duke of Jämtland

Prince Eric of Sweden, Duke of Jämtland ; Eric Thomas Walther Eugen; born 21 May 1979) is the eldest son and the second of four children of King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia. As of 2016, Prince Eric is fourth in the line of succession, after his older sister, Crown Princess Victoria, his niece and goddaughter Princess Estelle, and his nephew Prince Oscar.

Prince Eric was born on 21 May 1979 at the Stockholm Palace, Sweden. He was baptised at the Royal Chapel on 31 August 1979. His mother is of half German and half Brazilian descent.

Eric was heir apparent to the throne of Sweden for seven months, until 1 January 1980 when a law came into effect which made natural birth order the basis for succession to the throne, replacing the principle of agnatic primogeniture. He was thereby deprived of his position as first in line to the throne, which was then bestowed upon his elder sister Victoria, with Eric becoming second in line instead.

During 1984-1986, Prince Eric attended the Västerled parish preschool. In the autumn of 1986, he started school at Smedslättsskolan in Bromma which he attended at junior level. For the intermediate level, he attended Ålstensskolan in Bromma, proceeding from there, in the autumn of 1992, to senior level at Enskilda Gymnasiet in Stockholm. In the autumn of 1994, Eric enrolled at Kent School. He then continued his studies in a science programme at Lundsbergs upper secondary school. He graduated in the spring of 1999. In 2011, Prince Eric finished his studies in Agricultural and Rural Management at the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences in Alnarp.

Jämtland (Swedish pronunciation: [ˈjɛmːtland] ) (Norwegian: Jemtland,[pronunciation?]; Latin: Iemptia) or Jamtland(Jamtish: [ˈjamtlan]) is a historical province(landskap) in the centre of Sweden in northern Europe. It borders Härjedalen and Medelpad to the south, Ångermanland to the east, Lapland to the north and Trøndelag and Norway to the west. Jämtland covers an area of 34,009 square kilometres, 8.3% of Sweden's total area and is the second largest province in Sweden. It has a population of 115,331, the majority of whom live in Storsjöbygden, the area surrounding lake Storsjön. Östersund is Jämtland's only city and is the 24th most populous city in Sweden.

He is the godfather of Prince Gabriel of Sweden, Duke of Dalarna (Gabriel Carl Walther; born 31 August 2017) is the second child of Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia. He is a grandson of King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia. His elder brother is Prince Alexander, Duke of Södermanland. Prince Gabriel is seventh in the line of succession to the Swedish throne as of June 2018.