A Hint of Magic | Chapter 5

Copyright 2013 All Rights Reserved

A Hint of Magic By Claire Chilton

5

Dating Disasters

Dora strolled into Joe's Deli and paused at the doorway, scanning the crowded tables for Jamie. She frowned when she didn't see him and considered leaving. It was a stupid idea anyway. I should just go home.

She turned to leave, but bumped face-first into a muscled chest. "Oh shit, sorry," she mumbled into it.

"Don't be. It's a nice surprise. You know you can come out of there now if you want to." Jamie's familiar voice said into the top of her head, his hot breath warming her hair.

Dora jumped back and peered up at him. "You seem taller," she said after she'd gathered her wits.

"Really? Because you seem shorter." He grinned.

She straightened her shoulders, so she was her full height. "I'd tower over you in heels."

"I dunno, I kinda like the Docs." He winked as he took her arm. "So, shall we get a table, or were you leaving?"

"I suppose we could get a table." She flashed him a smile.

"Let's grab one at the back. I hate sitting in the window," he said as he led her through the busy tables to the booths at the back of the café.

My thoughts exactly. "Sounds good," she mumbled as she slid into a booth at the back of the room. It was cozy with brown padded seats and dim lighting over the oak table.

"It sucks doing all these tasks, doesn't it?" Jamie said.

"What?" She panicked. Does he know about the trials?

"Work experience. I thought it would be fun, but being the mail boy sucks. You know how many whining suits I have to deal with?"

"Ohh yeah, the tasks suck." She nodded.

"Is yours all deliveries?" he asked.

"Yep." She nodded again, unsure of what to say.

"Really? You don't have to make the food or serve it, or anything?" He raised his eyebrows in surprise. "When my friend Billy worked for Pizza Hut, he did everything at some point or another.

"Guess I'm lucky." She lied, realizing that this date was going to be more difficult than she'd imagined.

"Well, you certainly brightened my day by visiting the office today, so I think I'm the lucky one."

Her heart felt as if it had expanded in her chest. Boys never spoke to her like this. Mostly they just played pranks on her or called her names. She'd never met a nice one before, and it was causing all kinds of strange reactions inside her. She'd always assumed she was too odd to date. Is he flirting with me? D'ho, he did ask you on a date. She found it difficult to rationalize someone liking her, so she felt suspicious of everything he said. "Um, glad I could help," she mumbled.

He chuckled and offered her the menu. "Let's get some food. I'm starving."

She nodded. "Okay. I could eat something." She peered at the menu. A feeling of being watched nagged at her, and goosebumps appeared on her arms. She glanced over the top of the menu, surprised to meet Jamie's bright blue eyes. He was intently watching her with a look that sent shivers up and down her spine. "Er, what?" she asked.

"What?"

"What are you staring at?"

"You," he said, continuing to stare.

"Er, why?"

"Because you're beautiful."

She blinked and tried to think straight, but it was impossible when he was looking at her like that and saying things like that to her. "What? Don't be silly."

His expression broke into a smile. "And so innocent about it. Why is it silly to call you beautiful?"

"I dunno. I'm used to being called Satan's Spawn." She shrugged.

"What the hell?" He gasped.

She cringed for a moment, realizing that normal people didn't say that. He was probably a normal boy, and she knew she was far from normal. "Just kidding!" She blurted, trying to cover up her mistake.

"Oh, I see." He relaxed and picked up the second menu on the table.

She glanced back at her menu and hid behind it. Good going, idiot. I bet he can't wait to see you again.

"I think I'll get a milkshake and some fries," she said, trying to break the uncomfortable silence that had settled over them.

"Do you want to go out again." He blurted at the same time.

She gulped. "What?"

"The movies or something?" He appeared nervous for the first time.

"Er, do you want to?" She was unsure given the odd vibes and uncomfortable silences between them.

"Yeah, of course. Why do you think I asked?"

"Okay." A feeling of hope appeared in her for the first time. Jamie seemed nice, and he seemed to like her. At the very least, she might make a new friend, but it could turn out to be more.

"Tomorrow night?" he asked, looking hopeful.

"Okay, yes. The Movie-Plex?" She was already planning what to wear for her first proper date. What do normal people do on those?

"Where else?" He winked while brushing his short dark hair out of his eyes. "I'll pick you up at eight?"

Visions of Jamie meeting her over-zealous father flashed across her mind. They weren't particularly pleasant images. "I'll meet you there."

"Even better." He smiled and waved over a waiter. "Now, let's eat."

She nodded, feeling nervous.

How much am I going to mess this up? She sighed. She had to survive the witching hour first.