Chapter 7 - The Acceptance of Inevitability

Chapter 7

The Acceptance of Inevitability

I DIDN’T GET A PERFECT night sleep. It wasn’t because I had found my family and had a comfortable bed to lie in that I was automatically going to start sleeping in. My head was throbbing and my knee was still sore. I kept waking up every half hour and when the sun slowly started to rise, I just couldn’t take it.

      I sat up in the bed, looking around myself. There had been no waking up moment where I had believe all of the news I had gotten yesterday was just a dream. Yesterday. My entire life completely shattered in the course of one day. I had gained a family—a messed up one that was—but at the same time I had gain a few things I wasn’t exactly prepared for—like being a mystical creature and all.

      Getting up, I trailed my feet lazily to the bathroom and checked my reflection in the mirror. My hair was a mess, but at least it was clean. It felt lighter somehow.

      Running my hand through my hair, almost compulsively, I went back to the actual room, and looked out the windows. I had a clear view of the lake in front from up here.

      I had never swum in a lake. I had never swum, period, actually. None of my foster home had pools or found trivial to bring me to a place where I could swim. Closest I had come to swimming was probably taking a bath, and even that I could count on my hands—quick showers, that’s all I could get. For some reason, completely unknown to me, I had this urge to go by the lake. I still loathed trees, but the water seemed to be calling to me, somehow. It looked soothing. And I really wanted to go to it.

      Quietly, I slipped out of my room and into the empty corridor. I kind of felt like all the poor broads in movies that went into a place they weren’t suppose to go, even though I hadn’t been told I wasn’t suppose to walk around the house without an escort. I hadn’t been given any rules actually. For all I knew, I could actually grab a few things from the house and leave this place. It was a little bit tempting.

      When I reached the front door, I slipped in my shoes and quietly snuck out. I hoped Matvei wouldn’t go looking for me in my room and think I had changed my mind when I hadn’t. Well, it wasn’t like I couldn’t be found and they couldn’t see the lake from their huge-ass house.

      Gravel crunched under my feet as I made my way to the deck by the lake. The day was already warm, and the place, uncannily quiet. Growing up in Detroit, I was used to cars driving by, factories working, neighbors screaming at each other, heck even gun shots. But silence—well that was unsettling.

      I sat at the end of the deck, tempted to put my feet in the water. I decided against it though. Maybe there were killer fishes in there. Instead, I just leaned my head back, hand pressed slightly behind me, and let the sun soak it. It would do some good to my skin. I sighed. The quiet was definitely unsettling. I didn’t know if I could get used to that. Gazing around, I tried not to glare at the trees. They looked like they were about to come closer.

      Sighing again, I felt the deck slightly move and turned my head to see none other than stick-up-my-ass Hugo, making his way towards me. I tried not glaring, because I wasn’t in an awful mood—yet. He stopped a couple of feet from me. “Do you mind if I sit here?” he asked quietly. What the hell was he doing here?

      The answer was automatic as I smiled sweetly at him. “I hope you died well and I hope you died clean.”

      He didn’t respond the way I had guess though. There was recognition in his feature, and his facial expression almost changed. “Are you really quoting The Green Fields of France?”