Chapter Six

"I never repeat anything a woman says during her labour

"I never repeat anything a woman says during her labour. Only a fool would repeat it, and only a greater fool would credit it."

13 February 1945

13 February 1945

It had been weeks since Bridie McLeod had been startled by the arrival of a house-elf in the middle of the night. As a midwife, though, she had learnt to become a light sleeper, ready to snap fully awake at a moment's notice.

A moment like this one, if the excited state of the Macnair-family elf was any indication.

"Please, Madam McLeod, my mistress is telling me to fetch you. The young mistress, her time is come, she says."

I doubt that, thought Bridie. They always call me too early with the first ones. And young Madam Macnair is still—she made a quick mental calculation—six weeks before her time.

Still, Bridie thought, best to go now. You never knew when a babe would decide to make an early appearance, and those eager ones often needed a bit of help in the hours after being born. Besides, the Macnair family paid well for her services and expected her to jump when they called, which she was happy enough to do at these fees, even in the middle of the night for what was most likely a false alarm.

"All right," she told the elf, moving with long-practised speed to put on her work robes. "Tell your mistress I'll be along in a tick."

The elf nodded gratefully and popped away.

When Bridie arrived at the Macnair manse, she was surprised to find Minerva hanging heavily on her mother's shoulders, her concentration apparently focused deep within herself.

It's the real thing, then, early or no.

When the contraction had passed, Bridie said, "So, it looks like your babe is anxious to make an appearance. When did the pains start?"

"About four hours ago," said Minerva. "We waited to call you, as you instructed, but they're getting closer together and stronger."

Bridie nodded her approval. "How close?"