Chapter Forty-Three

"Never thought I'd be the one at yer bedside, prayin' for you to wake up

"Never thought I'd be the one at yer bedside, prayin' for you to wake up."

18 June 1996

18 June 1996

Alastor's belly gave a protesting rumble.

He took the second half of the sausage sammie Molly had insisted on making for him that afternoon from his cloak pocket and carefully unwrapped it.

He should have had dinner before coming on watch, but his clandestine meeting with Dumbledore had taken longer than he'd expected, and if Alastor Moody had never once been late for a watch during his Auror years, he certainly wasn't going to start now.

A swig of tepid tea from his flask chased down the last bite of sandwich.

He shifted his weight from one leg to the other and rubbed his bad thigh.

What time was it? He couldn't cast a Tempus, not with all the detection charms that were likely about, but he estimated he'd been here for more than two hours, which would make it after one in the morning. Two hours before he was relieved, unless something happened before then.

His stump sang choruses of pain up his leg. Dumbledore had suggested he find someone else to take the watches that called for long periods on his feet, but Alastor wouldn't hear of it. He might be minus one leg, but he was still better at stealth and concealment than anyone else in the Order, including Kingsley.

And if this watch required anything, it was stealth and concealment. Alastor had no doubt that the house had sophisticated protective charms around it. Alastor's best Invisibility Cloak would only help him so much; the charms he'd perfected over the years to counter revealing and discovery spells were what really mattered on missions like this.

Some of the Order had balked at spending resources on round-the-clock surveillance of Quentin Yaxley, but Alastor thought he was a likely candidate to attempt to steal the prophecy, given his position as director of the International Magical Office of Law. Dumbledore agreed, although Alastor knew he was afraid there was also a spy directly in the Department of Mysteries.