Chapter 11

Saturday 23rd November 1963

8am

Jack had just eaten breakfast and he was now packing a bag with some clothes for Jackie. Hopefully she would get out today.

He was fixing his hair when Kenny came in. “Morning Mr President.”

“Morning Kenny.”

“Eh Jack we really need to tell the press that Jackie had a miscarriage.”

“Do it when I’m with her.”

“Ok.”

10am

When Jack arrived at the hospital he rushed past the press and into Jackie’s room. She was sitting up eating. She looked sad. He gently sat down beside her and rubbed her back. “How are you feeling?”

“Tired and very sore.”

“We can go home soon; the doctor said you were getting discharged after lunch.”

“Yeah.”

“I brought you some clothes.”

“Thank you, can you put my pink suit in a bag, it’s over there.”

“Sure.”

“I’m going to go for a shower.” Jackie said getting to her feet.

“Do you want some help?”

“No I’ll be fine.”

Jack nodded and watched as she walked into the bathroom. He walked over to the chair and picked up his beloved pink suit. It had blood on it. He carefully rolled the skirt and jacket up and put it in a bag. As he picked up the hat he ran his hand over the textured material before putting it in with the suit.

He left Jackie’s fresh dress out on the bed with a flat pair of shoes. He went and stood in front of the window just watching the car park. When Jackie returned she went and hugged him. He gingerly kissed the top of her head. He suddenly felt Jackie’s tears soaking his polo shirt.

“Jackie?”

“Jack why does this keep happening to us?”

“I….I don’t know kid, but I do know God will have some explaining to do to us.”

“I hate this.”

“I do too but we’ll be okay as long as we have each other.” Jack whispered.

She nodded and dried her eyes. She pulled away from Jack and started to put her purple dress on. “Can you zip it up please bunny?” Jackie sniffed.

Jack smiled. “Sure.”

Once he’d zipped it up she turned and rested her head on his chest. “Are we just going back to the hotel?”

“Yes and we’ll fly back to DC tomorrow. Lyndon’s making some progress with his speech.”

Jackie nodded. “Do I need to put make up on?”

“No your beautiful the way you are.” Jack grinned.

Jackie blushed. “Thank you bunny.”

12:30pm

Jack and Jackie were standing at the doors of Parkland Hospital, they’d already thanked the staff for the care Jackie had received but now they just needed to get past the press. They were waiting when Jackie shivered. “Are you okay?” Jack asked.

“I’m just cold.”

“Here.” Jack said pulling his bomber jacket off. He wrapped it round her shoulders and took her hand. She smiled. “Thanks.”

“We’re ready Mr President.” Roy called.

Jack nodded and tightened the grip on his wife’s hand. “Ready?”

“Ready.”

The couple walked slowly towards the car. Jack helped her in before getting in beside her. Jackie gently placed her hand on his knee. He suddenly broke down in tears. He hugged her tightly. The secret service put the privacy screen up. “Jackie….I…I love you.”

“I love you too bunny.”

Once they got to the hotel they headed in, both had dried tears on their faces but they didn’t care.