Twenty One

I've been gone for four months, but I am back now. Thank you to all of the concerned messages and all of the love while I've been busy.

RECAP (Just to clear things up and remember what the hell happened since its been ages)
If you don't remember what transpired in the last chapter I recommend skimming it:

1. Ashton and Raelynn are NOT siblings. She referenced him as her brother because their friendship is like a brother/sister relationship. With that being said, this is still a Luke Hemmings fanfiction, not an Ashton Irwin one even though it may seem a bit like that for now.

2. Regarding Luke and Katherine's kiss, Luke did not, for all terms and purposes, "cheat" on Raelynn. Katherine kissed Luke, he was just a standby unwillingly. He likes Raelynn, not Katherine. However, Raelynn and Luke were never dating, which is important because it is difficult to gage why Raelynn is not at all holding it against Luke without realizing this.

3. I'm SO sorry I've been gone; hours in the day during the school year are limited and as an honors student in several organizations it is difficult to monitor activities that aren't conducted by an outside entity.
...

Weeks past, dragging by slowly like a wagon with three wheels. The cool October air soon turned into a frigid November. We were now rolling into December, the ground slick with permafrost and leafless tree buds.

Christmas season had never felt so empty. Luke and I hadn't spoken since the party on Halloween, except when we were required to in biology. It was awkward, looking at someone I once talked to daily wither away into nothingness. He wouldn't meet my gaze, he wouldn't even glance my way. I watched as his baby blue eyes glazed over into a dull sea-gray. I stood by and watched like a coward.

Katherine hadn't made an attempt to talk to me since the first Monday after the party. I was glad, in part, because I had (very politely, might I add) told her to stay away from me.

"So, I was thinking we could go chill at this new pizza place downtown tonight." Katherine slid into the seat beside me. It was lunch time, and quite frankly, I didn't want to be reminded of the disgusting things she said to me while I was trying to eat my ham sandwich.

"Why are you talking to me?" I sighed, picking at the celery on my plate. I felt like a stalk of celery, plain and watery. I was missing that extra something, the peanut butter. I wasn't quite sure what that was yet.

"Raelynn, I thought we established what I did last weekend was for your benefit." She sighed loudly, dramatically coiling a dirty brown curl around her perfectly manicured finger. I used to envy those French tips.

"Piss off." I muttered.

"You'll regret this!" She sing-songed, placing a hand on my shoulder. I shuddered as her pastel pink-tipped nails dug into my skin, leaving crescent shaped indents. "You'll come back, you always do."

"Not this time, Katherine." I grit my teeth, locking my jaw. "We aren't friends anymore."

"Look, I'm sorry, maybe I should have handled the Luke situation in another way, but it had to be done. I'm sorry I upset you, Raelynn, let's just move on, ok?" She asked, somewhat genuine concern visible in her eyes. Katherine was incapable of empathy, she had a hole in her heart that could only be filled by meaningless designer handbags and glitter.

"She's going to pass on that offer." The table jiggled as Ashton sat down, stretching his legs to rest his feet where Katherine had previously been sitting. His expression was surprisingly calm for a person who was indelibly pissed off, for a lack of a better term.