Dead and Gone: Chapter Seven

I was awoken by the sound of my door creaking open. Peeking open an eye, I saw the outline of a person enter my room. Opening both eyes, I looked again.

"Who . . . who are you?" I moaned, pulling myself up. To the left of me was the bed, which confused me, until it dawned on me; I hadn't made it onto the bed. I had been too drunk. I was lying on the ground, against the nightstand.

"What? One day and you've already managed to forget who I am?" I rubbed my eyes and took another glance at the person standing there.

"Kyleigh? What are you doing here?"  Kyleigh strode into the room, setting down the items she held in her hand onto the desk.

"I brought you some coffee. It may not be the perfect hangover remedy, but it should help some." Spinning around on her heels, Kyleigh eyed me with a frown. Walking across the room, she disappeared into the bathroom. I could hear her open a drawer followed by the sink being turned on. When I could see Kyleigh leave the bathroom, I replied to her earlier comment.

"I'm not hungover," Kyleigh didn't respond. She only circled around the bed and kneeled down in front of me. Now, I could see she had a rag in her hand. She began to wipe my chin, sighing.

"So sober people just throw up on themselves?" I didn't say anything. I only sat patiently, peering at her as she continued to wipe my face. When she was done, she set the rag down on the desk and handed me a cup.

"How did you even get in here?" I questioned, taking a sip from the cup, enjoying the smell of the coffee as it hit my nose

"Well, after you freaked and ran out yesterday, I got worried. I knew you wouldn't be at your dad's house, so I called James. He told me you were here. He owes me a few . . . well a ton of favors, so I called them all in and he gave me your room number and a key," Kyleigh couldn't help but smirk.

"Why were you worried about me?" I wondered.

"Because, the last time I saw you, you looked like you were having a panic attack. Then you ran out of the room and got drunk. And after what James had told me about you going out every night, drinking, I didn't want you to go back to the old Dylan."

"The old Dylan? What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

"Dylan, I didn't mean it like that. The old Dylan used to drink all the time-"

"Haven't you realized it yet? The old Dylan was happy. The old Dylan loved life and the second she died . . . I did to. The old Dylan is dead. This new Dylan is always upset and guilty and . . ." I couldn't finish my thought, I was so angry. Didn’t she realize it was more than the drinking. It was her. It was Adena.

"Dylan, don't say that. I know her death affected everyone-”