Dead and Gone: Chapter Three

I feel awful! My co writer is just an amazing person who works SO HARD! She's hilarious, she's always been there for me, and she's a fantastic writer! PLEASE go show her some love and support! She's truly an amazing human being! Love you Kyleigh!

Closing my suitcase, I sat on the edge of the bed and stared off into space.

After battling with myself all night about whether I should go or not, I finally decided that maybe it wasn’t such a bad idea. However, with the packing done and my thoughts left to wander, I started thinking that maybe I wasn’t ready for this.

Going back wasn’t going to be easy.

Heck, nothing about this journey would be easy. I didn’t know if I could go back to the place that shattered my life. I didn’t know if I could handle the pain of seeing all the people I used to know; the same people that knew her; that knew what I had done to her.

I could feel that little knob of fear welling up inside the pit of my stomach. Could I face the people that loved her? Could I face those places that were so special to her...to us...to me?

I didn’t think I could do this. Just speaking on the phone, thinking about the past, broke me. I hadn’t felt this low in months.

At first, I wasn’t going to go.

When I brought up having to go somewhere to my boss, I guess I kind of hoped that he wouldn’t let me take off work so I could use that as my excuse for not going. It would have been a wonderful excuse except my boss granted me leave for a few days. He told me to take this time as vacation time.

I think my boss was happy to let me off for a few days. He knew my past was painful, but he didn’t know anything else about it.

He didn’t know about the death I was responsible for.

I could see it. The image flashed so quickly in my mind. I could see Adena, lying on the ground. I could remember my heart stopping when I saw her blood. I threw my head down, trying to push the image from my mind.

A new image took it’s place.

Adena’s eyes filled with tears as she took off and away from the prom. I saw myself standing there like a moron. I didn’t move. I didn’t run after her. I let her slip out of my hands; slip from this world.

Burying my head in my hands, I could feel the tears rushing to my eyes.

I remembered Adena’s body lying in my arms. She felt so lifeless; so dead. I could hear myself repeating ‘I love you’ over and over. I could feel her forehead against my lips as I kissed her goodbye. I remembered the paramedics telling me she was gone. I remembered having to be pulled away from her.

There was a slight pounding on the door, startling me. I glanced up, finding Victoria standing there.

“Grady has to go to work soon.” She smiled, warning me my time was up.

“I’ll be out in a minute.” I nodded, glancing at my bag one last time. I felt like backing out. The flashback was enough to rattle me.

“Are you alright?” She questioned in a soft whisper. My head fell down, I couldn’t seem to find the answer to that question. “You can do this, Dylan. I believe you can.”

“Thanks...” Victoria opened her mouth, as if to give me her words of wisdom. Instead, she just closed her mouth. Looking at me intently one last time, she turned around and left the room

I sighed, knowing it was time. Grabbing my bag, I glanced one last time around my room before heading out the door. Victoria met me in the living room.