4: Irony at its Best

I walk down the hallway to my locker but stop in my tracks when I see Charles by it.

I roll my eyes and clench my teeth, Charles is the schools 'bad boy' and he thinks we were destined to be together.

The bad boy and the tomboy.

How fucking ironic.

I walk the rest of the way to my locker and put in my combination, "Can I help you Charles?" I ask, putting up my unwanted books and grabbing my bookbag.

"Just here to ask if you have a date to the school dance"

"Well lucky you, I don't have one"

His eyes flash with hope, "Why not?"

"You know me, I'm not exactly into dressing up just to be noticed"

I never really got the concept of prom, the only thing a thought of it was an event at school.

"Cool, cool" he says simply.

I sigh, "If there's something you want to tell me, tell me now"

He scratched the back of his head, "Yeah um, I-"

He's cut off when Alex slings a arm over my shoulder, "Can I help you Charles?" Alex asks, with a blank expression, but I can see a flash of annoyance in his usually peaceful face.

Charles growls at Alex's sudden contact with me, he grits his teeth and walks away. It takes everything within me to not burst out laughing.

He chooses me over all the girls fawning over to be with him? Wow, the fucker sure wasn't born with common sense.

Alex sees I'm trying to hold back a laugh and nudges me, I burst out laughing, feeling water well up in my eyes.

"What's so funny?" Alex asks.

I start to calm down, taking shaky breaths, "Nothing you need to worry about" I smile at him and we start walking out the school doors.

"So, what do you want to go do?" He asks.

"I don't know, but Leslie keeps bugging me about Prom, its annoying"

"Has anyone asked you?"

"Me?" I snort, "No, and I don't think anyone ever will" I sigh. "Its all good though, I'll just go for Leslie's sake"

"You gonna be okay?" Alex asks as we turn the corner.

"Yeah, your gonna be there so I'll feel safe. I can't believe it's in 4 days"

"What's in 4 days?" He asks.

"Prom, stupid!" I laugh.

He laughs nervously, "I knew that"

"Yeah, sure" I roll my eyes, "I'm going shopping with Leslie for Prom dresses tomorrow and you know how much I hate shopping and dresses."

I never ever got the concept of dresses. I hate shopping because you buy things and carry it to your car and when you get home you have to carry in your house, thats way to much work.

For me.

"Really? Good luck. I have to go for a suit fitting with Diego"

"Oo, I'm sorry for you. Diego is just as bad as Leslie"

Alex let's out a chuckle, "You're not wrong, I think Leslie rubbed some of it onto him"

We both burst out laughing.

"I better get going Mr. Hemsworth gave me calculus homework" I sigh.

"Okay, see you tomorrow after your done with Leslie?"

"Yeah" I smile, I wave goodbye and walk the rest of the way to my house. Which is 3 houses away from Alex's.

Shit. I just remembered I have a shift at the restaurant on Wednesday. Okay if today is Monday and prom is this Friday...

Blah, blah, shopping, blah, restaurant, bl-

"Stacey!"

I snap my head to my porch and see papa waving at me, he does this every day, I guess he just wants me to be safe. He's been very protective ever since mom died.

"Hola papa!" I wave.

"Hola coriña!" He yells at me. I jog up to the porch and kiss his cheek.

"¿Ese era Alex? Dile que venga la próxima vez." He asks.
[Was that Alex? Tell him to come next time]

"Pero él viene casi todos los días papá" I say, a little confused.
[But he comes almost everyday]

"Bueno, no viene lo suficiente. La próxima vez que lo invite a cenar, sé lo mucho que le gusta."
(Well he doesn't come long enough. Next time invite him to dinner, I know how much you like him)

My cheeks heat up, "Papa!"

He chuckles, "Come and help me prepare dinner"

"Okay, papa?"

"¿Sí?"

"I'll be coming home late tomorrow night so don't wait up for me"

"Is it because you have a shift?"

"Yes and no... " I pause, hesitant, "I'm going to the mall with Leslie to go pick out a prom dress"

His eyes widen, "Are you going with Alex? I'm going to have that 'if you hurt my daughter your dead' talk. This is going to be fun." He laughs rubbing his hands together.

"Okay papa please stop that" I point at his hands, "It's creepy, and Alex are not- I repeat -not going to the dance together."

"Cariño, you're very stupid"

"What? No, I'm not!"

"Yes, clearly you don't see the looks he gives you"

"What are you talking about he doesn't give me any looks. Ever." I pause.

Even I know that's a lie.

"Just forget about it papa, let's make dinner"

"If you say so, querido"
[dear]

I take off my shoes and head into the kitchen, the last thing I need to be thinking about right now was Alex and prom.

If Alex did like me it wasn't a really good time to show it.

***

Sorry my Spanish is a little rusty!

I hope you liked this chapter :))

Cici ♡︎